[SOLVED] Recover Crystal disk : BAD Health Status -WD My Passport 2TB

Aug 18, 2020
Hi all! Thank you for checking this post.

My WD passport failed in early August, I used cmddsk to recover it. I thought it was all good then. However, I did not know that the problem was temporarily fixed. It was failed again (even more worse than the 1st time).

I tried test disk, however, after deep search , it only showed: Partition not found.

Can anyone please advise me if my HDD is still recoverable ?
Crystal disk health check here: Crystal disk info <- (this is a shared google photo link. sorry, don't know how to insert photo here)
If yes, How to? If not, any suggestion of next step?

I have completely no computer background, I did the above following some researches online.
Thanks so much in advance. :)

Solution
Do you mean there is no chance to recover the data ?
Unfortunately, Your chance was when you recovered the drive after the first time it crashed.
That experience should have kicked in the "Oh no, I almost lost all my data! I better back it up!" mentality.

If you really need your data off that drive then please consider sending it out for professional repair & Recovery. It's beyond basic software recovery's ability at this point.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi Thanks for your reply. Do you mean there is no chance to recover the data ?
I can't see how.
The drive is Unreadable.

This is why we preach backups around here.

Reactions: 5andy
CrystalDiskInfo is showing numerous "pending" sectors and a very high read error rate. Your only DIY chance would be to clone the drive with a tool such as ddrescue or HDDSuperTool (better), but I suspect it may be a lost cause.

One thing you could try is to clean up any oxidisation, but I think this is also a remote chance.

Oxidisation on Western Digital PCBs:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=649p21622

popatim

Titan
Do you mean there is no chance to recover the data ?
Unfortunately, Your chance was when you recovered the drive after the first time it crashed.
That experience should have kicked in the "Oh no, I almost lost all my data! I better back it up!" mentality.

If you really need your data off that drive then please consider sending it out for professional repair & Recovery. It's beyond basic software recovery's ability at this point.

Solution

Latest posts