Recover data files from old hard drive using enclosure

RCoburn

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
I am trying to salvage files from my old hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200 gb) . The computer was a HP Pavillion, hard drive was running Windows XP 32bit. I had a start up file corruption and was unable to get the computer working again. I do NOT think there was a hard drive failure.

Bought a new computer. HP Envy 700-214, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I installed the old Seagate drive into a USB HDD enclosure. I see the drive showinmg up as HP_Recovery:F and Local Disk:G.
I can access Recover:F but G which WAS my old C is not accessible. If fact it locks my computer up every time I try to access. I am unable to even seen properties.

Is the problem a master/slave jumper issue?

I thought I had all date backed up on an external but I did not. Really need these files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, RCoburn

Solution

If you can access the other partition of the drive, then I think it's not a jumper issue. It's probably a corrupt file system or some bad sectors on the drive that prevents you from accessing the other partition.

RCoburn

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

I checked the pins and none were jumpered. Sorry for my ignorance. I only know enough about computers to be dangerous. :) From the diagram in the text from the link you posted, it showed slave setting to be no jumpers. Is that correct for using in a HDD external enclosure?
Odd that it is seeing the Recover Disk but not the main....

Thank you, RCoburn

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014

If you can access the other partition of the drive, then I think it's not a jumper issue. It's probably a corrupt file system or some bad sectors on the drive that prevents you from accessing the other partition.

Solution

RCoburn

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

Is there any program to access and maybe repair? I would really like to retrieve some of the data.

RCoburn

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

In the enclosure, my old C drive was inaccessible. I downloaded Seatools for Windows and did a scan for disk drives on my computer. Somehow after this, the drive was accessible but I could not pull files off. I had already downloaded Stellar Phoenix and I'm currently able to pull data off the disk with that program.

A huge sincerely thanks to all for your help!
RCoburn