[SOLVED] Recover data from external hard drive

davgommin

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
Hi!
When I tried to see my files from my external hard drive, the system gives me the error "Can't find the file. The parameter is not correct".

So, what is the best program to recover the dates? I really need the information that there is into the drive, so I can't just format the drive. Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Are you using File Explorer or a third party app?

No error codes or pop-up windows?

Make and model external drive? USB? Independently powered?

Are you able to see the directories: folders and files?

You could try "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" on the drive. May sort things out.

And there is Recuva:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/any-way-to-recover-accidentally-deleted-files.3468451/

Do remember that anything you do could cause further damage and data loss.

So if you can wait, do so.

There may be other suggestions and ideas posted.

davgommin

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
Are you using File Explorer or a third party app?

No error codes or pop-up windows?

Make and model external drive? USB? Independently powered?

Are you able to see the directories: folders and files?

You could try "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" on the drive. May sort things out.

And there is Recuva:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/any-way-to-recover-accidentally-deleted-files.3468451/

Do remember that anything you do could cause further damage and data loss.

So if you can wait, do so.

There may be other suggestions and ideas posted.
I'm using file explorer, without error or pops up, external model rive, and I can't eve see any folders or pictures.

I see in that forum, a thread where people are talking about thus and they recommend Recuva, I lrt that program working all night and it seems that only could recover the removed files, not all the pictures I have there. So thus evening I'm going to try it again with thus program (trying a different option), and I will see what happen.

I'm not sure there is no physical damage so let's see what happen. I will try with
CrystalInfoDisk aswell
Thanks you mates for the help!

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Wild shots in the dark, is the ext HD plugged into a powered or un-powered hub? Was a different data cable tried and/or a different USB port tried? I'm wanting to learn from the experiences of others, hence my questions. I just remembered an earlier poster asked about the usb hub, we await the answers :)

davgommin

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
I bought the License for Stellar recovery Photo, but when I'm going to scan the external drive I see a message in the screen which says that the External Disc (Disc G in my case) is protected by Bitlocker, but I don't know the password, so I can't even scan it.

When I go to Control Panel, Security and Bitlocker, I see that Bitlocker is desactivated in all the drives (external Drive included), so I don't know what to do.

Before to buy the License Stellar, that didn't happened, I could scan it (but not to recover because of the license)
Anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you!

davgommin

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
I let the PC working all night and it seems that it scan about 100000 photos. The problem is that Stellar didn't clasify by folders, and Stellar have changed the date of the photo, so it's imposible I can clasify it. Anyone having this program knows how to clasify it in folders please?
Thank you!

davgommin

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
After 26 hours scaning the external drive Stellas has recover all my files (photos mostly), so for me, the 40 dolars that the license cost was worth!

Than you all for your tips!

I don't know how to mark the thread as solved, but consider it happily solved😁

davgommin

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
Actual recovered to a different drive, and verified these files actually work?

The cost of that license could have been used for a proactive backup drive.
Recovered to another recently bought drive, then I formated the damage drive and it seems the old drive works properly.

And yes, I know, that money could have been used to buy a back up drive before to face that problem. Actually it's my girlfriend's drive but I can tell you she has learnt the lesson

davgommin

Prominent
Jan 9, 2020
If the file system was not badly corrupted, DMDE may have been able to find your files/folders within a minute, without a full scan. Congratulations, anyway.
I guess I was panic so I went to the safer solution. Next time I will look into it to find out cheaper software first. Thanks for the advice!