[SOLVED] Recover data from hard drive

Uhsa

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
The systemisn't booting into desktop and NEW OS has to installed deleting the data in localdisk C and desktop and downloads, but I want to backup them or save them in otherdevice before installing new OS, Is there any option?

Solution
Will the new pc recognize this HARD DRIVE and simply let go in to local disk c , downloads

Provided the drive is able to be discovered by the PC it's installed in, then yes. Once the drive is discovered, you can then proceed to copy the data to where ever you like. Either the Host PC's "Download" folder or directly to a USB. Keep in mind, if your drive failed due to a virus, you'll want to take care of that 1st, as the new PC may become infected once the drive is connected &/or files transferred. Regardless to the host PC or a new HDD/SSD.

After reading @USAFRet post below: I realized I wasn't clear enough in what I had initially meant in regards to @Uhsa question:

@Uhsa - Yes you can install the drive into...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
The systemisn't booting into desktop and NEW OS has to installed deleting the data in localdisk C and desktop and downloads, but I want to backup them or save them in otherdevice before installing new OS, Is there any option?

Do you have a 2nd HDD or SSD? Use it to install the new OS onto, then once you have your system back up and running, shut down, connect the drive that's failing, boot back up and once at the desktop, see if you can access it. You may have to disable it's detection in the cmos or just have the main OS drive set to run. Once at the desktop AND if you can detect it (or even if you can't) install a program called Recuva. Depending on the drive in question, if its hot-swap-able you may be able to just plug it in while your PC is already a the desktop.

While you may be tempted to install the OS onto a new partition on the existing drive, and try to save the other data, there is no guarantee that the partition won't be corrupted itself. Depending on your location, you can buy a cheap 120gb SSD for around $25 USD.

Kingston 120GB - $25
SP 128gb - $20

Needless to say, always back up your data! :)

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Will the new pc recognize this HARD DRIVE and simply let go in to local disk c , downloads

Provided the drive is able to be discovered by the PC it's installed in, then yes. Once the drive is discovered, you can then proceed to copy the data to where ever you like. Either the Host PC's "Download" folder or directly to a USB. Keep in mind, if your drive failed due to a virus, you'll want to take care of that 1st, as the new PC may become infected once the drive is connected &/or files transferred. Regardless to the host PC or a new HDD/SSD.

After reading @USAFRet post below: I realized I wasn't clear enough in what I had initially meant in regards to @Uhsa question:

@Uhsa - Yes you can install the drive into another PC, and to @USAFRet point, booting from the bad drive would most likely give you the exact same issues as you are currently having with it installed in your own PC, so just installing it in another PC to boot from, won't fix your issues. What I had meant was that yes, you can install it into another PC and that once the other PC had booted to the desktop, for you to then try to access your faulty drive to attempt to save the files on it. (as opposed to my suggestion of installing the OS on a new HDD or SSD in your own PC and then having the faulty drive also connected and so to try and recover the files on it that way) Also to @USAFRet point, your drive installed in another PC would now have a different drive letter. So instead of "C:\" like it may be in your PC, It may now say "D:\" or "F:\" or some other letter depending on how the other PC's drives were setup & of how many there were installed.

My apologies for the confusion. :)

Last edited:
Solution