[SOLVED] Recover data from my old Macbook HDD ?

matt98svt

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Ok so I am trying to retrieve data off my 2012 macbook air that has been sitting idle for a few months after a motherboard failure that was not worth the cost to have fixed. I purchased a ssd holder like i had read online and connected it to my newer macbook. It allowed me to put in my password and access my files on the old ssd but I have not found an efficient way of retrieving the data.

For example, I was able to recover most of my photos but i had to keep clicking into one sub-folder after another and it just goes and goes into more sub-folders before i find a handful of photos. Same for most of my saved documents. I have retrieved most of my photos and documents now but would really like to get my list of bookmarks and my logins from Safari but I don't know how to do that or where they would be.

Someone at work told me to look in keychain access which I can pull up but can't make heads or tails of the folders in it. Anyone recommend a way to get my list of bookmarks and my login information? thanks in advance

Solution
Navigate to Home Directory/Library/Safari on the old disk
Get the Bookmarks.plist file.
Copy the Bookmarks.plist file to Home Directory/Library/Safari, to your new laptop (Quit Safari beforehand).