Recover data in formatted Bitlocker encrypted data partition where Bitlocker was off after being formatted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2018
Hi, I'm desperate looking for a solution to recover my data. Before this I had no idea Bitlocker is effective on my laptop.
So it had been active on all partitions in my laptop before I bought it. Yesterday, I accidentally formatted a data partition with a lot of important data. After spending hours with Easus, recuva, minitool, 7 data, technoshare any recovery, wondershare recoverit, samsung data recovery... I found out that all data was encrypted as large SWF files, and the doer was Bitlocker. I haven't copied anything on this partition. However, I think I made a mistake again when I turn off Bitlocker with hope that Easus or one of the tools I tried could recover without appearance of Bitlocker on that partition. But now even the SWF files doesn't appear. Now I'm trying M3 Data Recovery with some Bitlocker recovery key stored in my Microsoft account. I found 4 keys there, 2 uploaded yesterday (I uploaded one from partition containing Windows with Bitlocker still on) and 2 a while ago (I had no idea how these two were uploaded). Now I kept the Bitlocker intact (off) as I'm afraid any change can cause thing worse. I hope the Bitlocker metadata is still somewhere and can be detected to recover my data.
The situation is very tricky as I tried googling but no same thing happened around. So could any of you help me with some steps to resolve this problem? Is the data still recoverable?

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!
Trunk

1. Have you bought it used? No way bitlocker was on when you buy a new laptop: when encrypting, it gives you a decryption key to keep. Where is the key if it've been sold already encrypted?
2. turning off bitlocker after format did nothing: not better, nor worse. Actually, formatting has disabled bitlocker for that driver
3. if bitlocker key is lost, there is no way you recover that data by yourself with free software

Jun 25, 2018

I don't really remember if I turned Bitlocker on but there are two keys in my MS account uploaded since February. I bought new laptop.
However, I tried all 2 old keys (February) and 2 keys uploaded yesterday with M3 Data Recovery and the software couldn't find correct decryption. If any software can show that it can detect my data, I surely will pay the commercial product.

Jun 25, 2018
It looks like after turning of Bitlocker, the third-party software cannot detect bitlocker metadata. If I turn it on again without setting password, will it be using the same recovery key before being turned off? I'm afraid that turning it on again might override the bitlocker metadata?

Once you format an encrypted partition there is not much hope for the data inside it. Bring it to a data recovery shop and see what they say.

Next time, keep your files in at least two places, unless it's stuff you don't care to lose. Aside from this accidental format, what if the drive simply failed? Or there was a fire, or a cat peed on it? Unfortunately even though there is a TON of information about making backups, very few people heed it until it's too late.

USAFRet

Titan
BitLocker in an unknown state, and formatting the partition?

If the usual consumer grade tools can't find anything...you are out of luck.

Even without the BitLocker consideration here, data retrieval is a crapshoot at this level.
Add BitLocker...and your chances approach zero. Either consumer grade tools or paying $$$.

This is specifically what backups are for - "I accidentally formatted a data partition..."
If it was "important", it needs actual backups.

Jan 29, 2020
Once you format an encrypted partition there is not much hope for the data inside it. Bring it to a data recovery shop and see what they say.

Next time, keep your files in at least two places, unless it's stuff you don't care to lose. Aside from this accidental format, what if the drive simply failed? Or there was a fire, or a cat peed on it? Unfortunately even though there is a TON of information about making backups, very few people heed it until it's too late.

Hi, I'm working on an assignment regarding data recovery and I have just bitlockered a drive, removed it and attached it to another machine and Formatted and recovered.. The recovery is finding files as I type this, could you explain a little more? Should I not be finding files? or will some files be available..?

Just curious, as I do not want to write the wrong information..

Hi, I'm working on an assignment regarding data recovery and I have just bitlockered a drive, removed it and attached it to another machine and Formatted and recovered.. The recovery is finding files as I type this, could you explain a little more? Should I not be finding files? or will some files be available..?

Once you are done with the recovery you will see what you will get. As long as you have the encryption key you should be able to open the files as long as they are correctly recovered by the program, in theory. There is a lot of information on recovery software that will work with encrypted drives but they are from the software vendors on how to use their product so you would need to read through their steps and then see if they work for you.

Reactions: SpookyBaron

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Going forward, please begin and maintain a routine of making backups onto external media. As others have implied, getting backup your data might take a professional data recovery company, even then, no guarantee whatsoever.

Jan 29, 2020
Going forward, please begin and maintain a routine of making backups onto external media. As others have implied, getting backup your data might take a professional data recovery company, even then, no guarantee whatsoever.
Ahh I do, this was an experiment for an assignment :) I meant for this to happen. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

No how, no way, given the way BitLocker works.

Status
Not open for further replies.