Recover deleted data from diskpart clean

NATALI_4

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I was trying to install windows 8 on my laptop after a failed attempt of installing windows 10, but the laptop kept saying that the hard drive is locked and I can't install windows. I tried several things to unlock it, but the only thing that worked was the diskpart clean command. The hard drive was unlocked and I was able to install windows 8, but all the data was gone. Nothing was overwritten on the hard drive tho (except, of course, the windows itself). The data is really important to me and I wanna know if there is anyway anyone could recover it?

Solution
Hi there Natali.

Actually the Diskpart "clean" command makes it very very difficult (near impossible) for any data to be recovered by normal means and if we add the new Windows installation, it makes things even worse. You don't get to choose which sectors to use when you install Windows or anything else for that matter so you might have overwritten some of your personal data. On top of that the "clean" command has done the same with a lot of the drive's sectors. You could go ahead and give it a go with a data recovery software: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm, but chances are pretty slim. I'd recommend that you go straight for a data recovery company if the data is really important to you...
Hi there Natali.

Actually the Diskpart "clean" command makes it very very difficult (near impossible) for any data to be recovered by normal means and if we add the new Windows installation, it makes things even worse. You don't get to choose which sectors to use when you install Windows or anything else for that matter so you might have overwritten some of your personal data. On top of that the "clean" command has done the same with a lot of the drive's sectors. You could go ahead and give it a go with a data recovery software: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm, but chances are pretty slim. I'd recommend that you go straight for a data recovery company if the data is really important to you.

I hope you're able to recover your files. Good luck!
Boogieman_WD

Solution