Recover Deleted + Fromatted partition

bizhat

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi,

I deleted a partition, created new partition (exact same size as it was last partition, so no other free space) and quick formatted it.

This partition was a TrueCrypt volume.

I have not written any data to this partition/drive after formatting.

Is there anyway i can recover the partition/data ?

Thanks,

Santhosh

Solution

The issue you will run into is that when you encrypt a file, to the regular operating system the file looks like junk. So when you run the recovery software to try to peice together the deleted files, it will not see the file fragments properly, and instead of getting the encrypted files you will get back a ton of unencrypted junk data. Recuva can restore the partition and scan for...

bizhat

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Any free free software can do this ?

I tried Recuva, but not showing anything, may be because TrueCrypt volume, may need to restore old partition as it was before, not per file recovery.

bizhat

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks hang-the-9 for the reply.

I have not used key to encrypt, only a password. TrueCrypt allows encrypt with password, key or both. I selected password only. So if i can get partition as before, accessing with TrueCrypt won't be a problem.

On dos, we could do unformat for just format, here, i deleted partition, created new and formatted it.

The issue you will run into is that when you encrypt a file, to the regular operating system the file looks like junk. So when you run the recovery software to try to peice together the deleted files, it will not see the file fragments properly, and instead of getting the encrypted files you will get back a ton of unencrypted junk data. Recuva can restore the partition and scan for files, but who knows what you will get.

Unless for some reason when you secure with TrueCrypt it does not encrypt the data but rather just password protects the container. That may be good news. You should check with the TrueCrypt forums and see what info is there.

Solution