[SOLVED] Recover files from Admin account Windows has automatically reset to new

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipshornal

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
For some reason Windows 10 has decided that an existing admin account on our computer is a new account and has re-created the account as new, losing all the files on it. It is one of 2 admin accounts.

I fully expected to recover the files from my automated back up, but discovered that the backup had stopped working a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't know. I therefore need to recover the latest files.

Is this possible and how can I do it? Note that the disk is an SSD (which potentially has wiped the data.....).

Thanks, T

tipshornal

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
You probably have a corrupt user account. The files are still there but the account is corrupted. It's not an easy fix as it requires some registry edits to fix. There are a few methods listed in the link but I always have used the Regedit method when repairing a corrupt profile.

https://windowsreport.com/corrupt-user-profile-windows-10/

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of backing up the disk prior to trying the solutions. Will let you know how I get on.

tipshornal

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
By using the second admin account I have accessed the corrupt profile user files using Explorer (C:\users). You are right, all the files still exist. Good to know. It may be better if I copy all these files and then create a new profile that is problem free and copy the files to it. I can then delete the corrupt profile. This is a less intrusive way to solve the issue in that I won't need to perform registry changes.

tipshornal

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
By using the second admin account I have accessed the corrupt profile user files using Explorer (C:\users). You are right, all the files still exist. Good to know. It may be better if I copy all these files and then create a new profile that is problem free and copy the files to it. I can then delete the corrupt profile. This is a less intrusive way to solve the issue in that I won't need to perform registry changes.

Closing out this thread (from my perspective). In beginning to follow up the action above, I logged into the faulty profile. As I did, Windows displayed the message to wait as updates were being applied and not to switch off your computer. When the updates were done, the profile had been updated with all the 'lost' files and history. Thus the profile is now back to normal (without any intervention from me). Didn't expect that, but I'm not complaining :)

Status
Not open for further replies.