Recover My book live files

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
So, our "my book live" (WDBACG0020HCH) died, and i took out the HDD from the enclosure (a 2tb WD Green). Now when i plug it via sata i see a bunch of partitions and i cannot access any. Im a little lost in this can someone help me recover the files that are on the HDD? They werent deleted or anything i just want to access them.

Thank you

Solution
Thank you boogieman_WD,

I was able to fix it! I tried getting the data back from booting with ubuntu and using Active Data studio tools, couldnt see anything else than raw partitions so unfortunatly that didnt work. After that i was able to figure out the power connector was the problem. So i had another one with the same voltage etc so i cut the cable from the first one i welded it to the old one, connected it and then it work!

Anyway thanks again for your suggestions i was able to fix this with a few electronic skills:)

If anyone reads this and tries to recover the data, good luck i have tried a lot of stuff :S
Hi there, bjsm.

I'm really sorry that you're facing such a problem with your drive. :(
Unfortunately more often than not, whenever you take an external drive out of its enclosure it will probably ask you to reformat it or you won't be able to access its partition like in your case. So I'd recommend that you try to open it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is a freeware, bootable, portable version of Linux), to see if the partitions are properly recognized and accessible, so that you can get to your data.
Another option would be to try out data recovery software: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html and http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm.
And last but not least, you could go directly for a professional solution, such as a data recover company: WD Data Recovery Partners.

Hopefully one of the first 2 options proves useful and you're able to recover your files. Please keep me updated.
Boogieman_WD

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Thank you boogieman_WD,

I was able to fix it! I tried getting the data back from booting with ubuntu and using Active Data studio tools, couldnt see anything else than raw partitions so unfortunatly that didnt work. After that i was able to figure out the power connector was the problem. So i had another one with the same voltage etc so i cut the cable from the first one i welded it to the old one, connected it and then it work!

Anyway thanks again for your suggestions i was able to fix this with a few electronic skills:)

If anyone reads this and tries to recover the data, good luck i have tried a lot of stuff :S

Solution

TRENDING THREADS