Recovering 2 Drives in an Extended Partition [XP PRO]

frivolousme

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I'm having trouble recovering 2 Logical hard drives in an EXTENDED PARTITION on a [WD5000AAKB-00H8A0] Western Digital 500/(465) GB PATA HDD. All 5 partitions should be "Basic"; here is what the configuration SHOULD look like:

===============================================
1. = PRIMARY = O:\ "Operations" (Bootable)
2. = PRIMARY = P:\ "Programs"
3. = PRIMARY = Q:\ "Que"
EXTENDED PARTITION
_________ 4. = LOGICAL = R:\ "Recovery" = 250 GB
_________ 5. = LOGICAL = V:\ "Vault" = 150 GB
===============================================

MiniTools's free Partition Wizard came through like a champ on O, P & Q. But I totally screwed up on R & V, and forgot that they need to be LOGICAL drive-types housed in 1 EXTENDED partition. Now when I go into Admin\Comp Mgt\Disk Mgt XP prompts me to format the disks (!) and spits out:

EXTENDED PARTITION
_________ 4. = LOGICAL = R:\ "Recovery" = 62 GB

Not only does "Recovery" show up with a fraction of its storage capacity, "Vault" is completely gone. :(

Thank you in advance for any solution you can recommend. BTW I have Symantec's Partition Magic 8.0 which couldn't boot if I walked it through the damn DOS directory tsk. :(

fm

Solution
Did the same a month ago - but I lost the whole drive. Fortunately I have a copy of Paragon [ I use it to reset the MBR after cloning ] Simply start using the CD and tell it to find partitions. restore them one at a time. Takes around half an hour to an hour - drive size dependent. btw - I dont work for them - I,m retired.

TheRetiredAlien

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Did the same a month ago - but I lost the whole drive. Fortunately I have a copy of Paragon [ I use it to reset the MBR after cloning ] Simply start using the CD and tell it to find partitions. restore them one at a time. Takes around half an hour to an hour - drive size dependent. btw - I dont work for them - I,m retired.

Solution