Recovering data from HDD with problems

junaith

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
Hi All

I have a problem with my hard disk below. Can anyone please help me on ways to recover the data from this disk? Thanks.

System Details:

- Seagate BarraCuda 2.5" 2 TB internal model (ST2000LM007).

- Lenovo G400s laptop with Windows 7.

The problem started after hard shut down.

The BIOS can sometimes detect the HDD correctly but sometimes can't find it.
When detected, during POST I can even select "Launch Startup Repair" or "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" options.

At one time the Windows was able to go into Safe mode successfully but now can't again after hard shut down.

Now when either of the above options are selected the computer screen becomes black for sometimes then will reboot or will say
Disk Not Found / Disk Read Write Error or will just go to other boot media.

When I tested this disk with an external enclosure sometimes the Device Manager detects it but the Disk Management doesn't display it.
If it is detected then the enclosure's LED blinks.
Then after sometime it is not found even in the Device Manager and the LED colour changes and stops blinking.

While the disk was in the external enclosure and connected to the USB port,
I can feel and hear it spinning and there is no clicking or any other sound but
just a normal humming/spinning sound. The disk and the enclosure is also hot at this time.

Solution
Possibly tragically for the Data, computer technician hardware/software stuff, not data recovery stuff, was attempted early on. The HD might at this point require data recovery company / speciialist intervention, or it might not. DIY data recovery attempts might or might not bring a lot of success.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Possibly tragically for the Data, computer technician hardware/software stuff, not data recovery stuff, was attempted early on. The HD might at this point require data recovery company / speciialist intervention, or it might not. DIY data recovery attempts might or might not bring a lot of success.

Solution