Recovering data off old laptop

chaos_d-man

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
My laptop (dell inspiron n4010) stop booting due to fan problems/ ram problems. I disassembled my laptop and acquired the hard drive. I bought an enclosure and hook it up to a hp laptop using the same operating system (window 7). The laptop recognize the enclosure, but disk management will not initialize the external disk. I get the "cyclic redundancy check error".

How do I get my data without formatting the disk?

IMPORTANT notes:

• The external hard drive do have a HDD password which I KNOW
    I do see the amount of GB on external drive using Diskmgnt, diskpart
    I tried using Hiren boot CD Victoria program to check the disk, but error appears in all sectors.
    I concluded that the HDD password is stopping everything.

So is there a program that enables me to put in the password to unlock/ initialize the HD so I can recover files?

Hi there chaos_d-man,

First of all, I would like to mention that HDD initialization is data destructive. So, you shouldn't really try to initialize the drive.

CRC(cyclic redundancy check) error could be associated with drive failure. So, I believe that there is something physically wrong with the drive or the enclosure, not the password.

My suggestion would be to attach the drive internally(SATA & power cables) to a desktop machine. That way, you will rule out a possible enclosure related issue.
Once you've attached the drive internally, you can go to BIOS and see how is the drive recognized over there. In case it is recognized as having 0 GB of storage capacity, then the HDD has failed.
If the drive is recognized as having its full capacity, then you can try to run some data recovery tool on it.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

chaos_d-man

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

I connected to a desktop and was promoted the password but it didn't work. Find out its coming incorrect due to keyboard scan codes. Don't know where to go from here. Anyone know a company that do unlocking, data recovery people keep telling me that want to move the data instead of just unlocking it.