Question Recovering files from a old SATA laptop drive

Dec 6, 2021
I have a old laptop that kind of pooped out. It will power on and start to reboot, but that's about it. I have already taken out the drive on it.

I do have this Fideco USB 3.0 to IDE and SATA cable that I can connect to the old drive and then to my new PC. My PC sees the drive(s) as:
OSDisk (D:) - 618 GB free of 684 GB - and RECOVERY (E:) 6.27 GB free of 13.6 GB

But it's only showing limited files on each of those drives and most of the files I need were on my desktop in various folders / etc...

Anything I can do?

Clarification needed:

Are you saying that some of the files that you expected to see on the drive are apparently not there?

If "missing", could they have simply been deleted?

Do you have any particular reason to think the drive is defective?

Can you read and recover ANY of the files?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021
It's a 750 GB dribe. I don't know much about hard drives, so I don't know if it's defective or what. I know I didn't delete the files and they were there the last time the laptop was operational (about 2-3 weeks ago).

Dec 6, 2021
Here is everything from the E: drive which is supposed to contain about 7GB of info I believe. I have it where it shows "Hidden Files".
E-drive.jpg

Dec 6, 2021
Here is my D drive screen shot. I go into Users and then I go to me and then Desktop. There are only 2 files there (and they are pretty much useless) and every other file that I thought that should be there is not there. This drive is also showing way less then I thought it should.
D-Drive.jpg