Recovering Fried SSDs

TobyRoberts

Honorable
Sep 10, 2014
I was fiddling around with the wiring on my PC, and after removing and re-plugging a molex to Sata power adapter and powering on the PC, I fried my SSDs - there was a nasty popping sound and a little bit of smoke (what I think happened is that when I plugged the adapter in one of the ground pins popped out without my noticing).
I think I know the answer to this question, but are the SSDs definitely gone forever (neither are now recognised by the PC when powered properly) and if so is there any way I might be able to recover the data that was on them?
Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
This depends on what exactly is fried.
If it is only the connector pins, maybe.

If it is further in (the PCB), then you are 100% out of luck.

This is when you employ your backup plan that you started last month.
Assuming you did not have external backup, you are likely out of luck.
If you have irreplaceable files on the devices, there are data recovery services that may be able to retrieve the data.
But... it will be EXPENSIVE.
Time to close the barn door and prepare to avoid the issue next time with external backup of whatever you value.

is that even possible on an SSD, I can understand the method on a HDD, but an SSD?

I do not know,.
But if anybody can do it, the professionals who specialize in data recovery may be able to.
The nand data is not volitalie so if one can figure out the mapping then recovery might be possible.