• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Recovering MS Office 2016 after a system upgrade.

yeti_yeti

Respectable
Apr 29, 2017
Hello forum users,
I have upgraded my motherboard, processor and ram yesterday and so far I have been pretty sucessful about recovering all of my backed up data and/or software.

The one thing that bums me out is the situation with MS Office at the moment. I purchased it about a year ago and never bothered to keep the product key since it showed up in my
Microsoft Store and I figured I'd be able to download it any time just by logging into my Microsoft account.
However, if I attempt to download it I get an error code 0x80080204, which I'm almost certain has something to do with the change of hardware. This is quite unfortunate, since I use Office a lot especially for school and I'd be quite annoying to have to pay for it again.
Has anyone encountered similar problem and/or has a possible solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers :)

Grobe

Distinguished
Don't your school offer you a licence for MS Office? What kind of licence have you bought, a student licence?

Most web search for that particular stop code doesn't seems to offer a workable solution directly. There seems to be some "magic tools" being offered that is getting pretty high in the google search, but I would advice to NOT trust such.

Can you use Libre Office as a temporarly workaround (it can import and save as MS office files) ?

yeti_yeti

Respectable
Apr 29, 2017
Hello, thank you for your response. Unfortunately my school does not offer MS Office license for free. I bought a regular activation code key, which cost me around 70 euros at the local electronic store and it has been working very well up until I swapped my hardware. I'll give Libre Office a shot but at this point it looks like I might have to spend another 70 euros for no reason, which is quite unfortunate. Regardless, thank you for your response.
Cheers :)

yeti_yeti

Respectable
Apr 29, 2017
Hello, thank you for your response, it actually does show up in my MS Store I just cannot download it due to the error code mentioned above. I'll try to contact Microsoft about it, however I doubt it'll resolve the issue, based on my previous experience with their customer support.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS