[SOLVED] Recovering MS Office 2016 after a system upgrade.

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Hello forum users,
I have upgraded my motherboard, processor and ram yesterday and so far I have been pretty sucessful about recovering all of my backed up data and/or software.

The one thing that bums me out is the situation with MS Office at the moment. I purchased it about a year ago and never bothered to keep the product key since it showed up in my
Microsoft Store and I figured I'd be able to download it any time just by logging into my Microsoft account.
However, if I attempt to download it I get an error code 0x80080204, which I'm almost certain has something to do with the change of hardware. This is quite unfortunate, since I use Office a lot especially for school and I'd be quite annoying to have to pay for it again.
Has anyone encountered similar problem and/or has a possible solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers :)

Solution
Microsoft Store and I figured I'd be able to download it any time just by logging into my Microsoft account.
However, if I attempt to download it I get an error code 0x80080204, which I'm almost certain has something to do with the change of hardware. This is quite unfortunate, since I use Office a lot especially for school and I'd be quite annoying to have to pay for it again.
Has anyone encountered similar problem and/or has a possible solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Something you can try is to run CMD (Command Prompt) on the device and type in the following command: "SLMGR /ATO". Give the device a few minutes as it forces your OS to reach out to KMS (Key Management Server) and attempt activation...
Don't your school offer you a licence for MS Office? What kind of licence have you bought, a student licence?

Most web search for that particular stop code doesn't seems to offer a workable solution directly. There seems to be some "magic tools" being offered that is getting pretty high in the google search, but I would advice to NOT trust such.

Can you use Libre Office as a temporarly workaround (it can import and save as MS office files) ?

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Hello, thank you for your response. Unfortunately my school does not offer MS Office license for free. I bought a regular activation code key, which cost me around 70 euros at the local electronic store and it has been working very well up until I swapped my hardware. I'll give Libre Office a shot but at this point it looks like I might have to spend another 70 euros for no reason, which is quite unfortunate. Regardless, thank you for your response.

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Hello, thank you for your response, it actually does show up in my MS Store I just cannot download it due to the error code mentioned above. I'll try to contact Microsoft about it, however I doubt it'll resolve the issue, based on my previous experience with their customer support.

CloudyFaygo

Prominent
Sep 23, 2019

Something you can try is to run CMD (Command Prompt) on the device and type in the following command: "SLMGR /ATO". Give the device a few minutes as it forces your OS to reach out to KMS (Key Management Server) and attempt activation by using whichever key has been installed in the operating system. This will ensure that your Windows OS license is registered and fingers crossed force the previous key registered to that machine to find-its-way-back-there.

If it does not work, sign up for a Google account and utilize the "G-Suite" services like "Docs" "Sheets" etc.

Solution

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Hello CloudyFaygo, sorry for a late response.
The problem has actually resolved itself after a Windows update, which made Office reappear as an app that I have already purchased once, so I was able to download it without any hassle. I actually forgot to close this thread, which is my mistake but big thanks for "reminding" me ;). Sorry for the Inconvenience.
Have a good one :)

TRENDING THREADS