Question Recovering system in a new similar laptop ?

Feb 3, 2022
Here's the deal, my old ProBook felt down strongly and then refused to start (rip). When I opened the case some parts of the mother board had oily brown traces (possibly some burnt component-s).

I have windows 10 pro license installed and some precious documents and softwares, I really want to know if I can recover the whole system if I grab some old HP ProBook 640 (14" screen) and just put my SSD in it assuming the drivers might the same or alike. Will my installed system (Win 10 pro) recognize that few things have changed and just start in some safe mode, then allow me to install the new drivers? How does it works for laptops?

And what if I could grab the exact same model the 15.6 screen 650 G1 ? Would it run without any problem since the drivers are preinstalled and are exactly matching?

Otherwise, would it start Win 10 if I put SSD into desktop mother board?

HP ProBook 650 G1 : 15.6" screen, i5 4210m, SSD 128 GB Samsung + 500 GB Crucial in DVD bay, RAM 12GB )

Lots of folks would advise against but ...I've done this many times with older HP G6s. Works just fine. The first boot might take a while but just let it sit and mull things over ... it'll get there.

But ... if you put that SSD in a desktop motherboard ...all bets are off. Get a Probook as close to the one you have now as possible. From experience ... a different CPU or wifi card won't matter in the least. Oh ... but thinking of the CPU ... don't switch from AMD to Intel or vise versa ... that would likely be too different.

Reactions: _Brain Damage_
Feb 3, 2022
Lots of folks would advise against but ...I've done this many times with older HP G6s. Works just fine. The first boot might take a while but just let it sit and mull things over ... it'll get there.

But ... if you put that SSD in a desktop motherboard ...all bets are off. Get a Probook as close to the one you have now as possible. From experience ... a different CPU or wifi card won't matter in the least. Oh ... but thinking of the CPU ... don't switch from AMD to Intel or vise versa ... that would likely be too different.
Thanks a lot for the clever advice, sir.

Now I just got to make sure my SSD is not broken too. It have been recognized by another laptop (plugged via SATA to USB 3.0 adapter) in Windows Device Manager but, indeed, I could not open it...

Does it mean it's not damaged?
I wish you a good day :)

Now I just got to make sure my SSD is not broken too. It have been recognized by another laptop (plugged via SATA to USB 3.0 adapter) in Windows Device Manager but, indeed, I could not open it...

It's not clear to me what you're saying. When you say you had it plugged etc. Did you mean you had it plugged into the other laptop prior to booting that laptop ... or did you mean you plugged it in after the other laptop was booted up. What you want is to do it after booting (windows doesn't play nice when booted with 2 versions attached).
If you booted that laptop with the SSD attached ... it may be too late.

Feb 3, 2022
Did you mean you had it plugged into the other laptop prior to booting that laptop ...
No indeed I just tried to open the SSD in a booted laptop via SATA to USB 3 adapter (case). Then the case's led turned on, and I could see the disk in Disk Manager, but its activation was not possible (I think it was tagged as disactivated), I guess because it's locked (as a system SSD should be). So I'm asking you if you think that's proof it's not destroyed?

Last edited: