Question Recovering Ubuntu / Win 11 dual boot when Windows isn't bootable

Josh888

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum because this issue involves Windows, Ubuntu and potentially hardware.

My system configuration is as follows:

Disk A: SSD with Windows 11
Disk B: HDD with Ubuntu 18

Long story short, I reseated the RAM which led to neither OS booting. After a CMOS reset, I eventually got Ubuntu booting with SATA mode set to RST in the BIOS, which is the default configuration.

However, Windows is still not bootable. If the Windows option is selected from GRUB I get errors about 'Failure reading sector XXXX from hd0' and that fbx64.efi can't be found, and I'm returned to the boot menu.

Booting from a Windows 11 USB created with Rufus just returns a PNP_WATCHDOG error before even getting to startup repair and then continuously reboots.

The SSD does appear in the BIOS, but not as a boot option. It doesn't seem detectable from Ubuntu, no commands that list drives are showing it.

If I switch from RST to AHCI mode then I get stuck at the post screen, I can't even enter the BIOS.

At this point I'd love to remove Ubuntu altogether, and I'm not concerned with saving the data on either OS. If I can't even detect the drive from Ubuntu, and can't get Windows to even enter startup repair, how can I go about that?

What model SSD?
With sata controller in RST mode and NVME SSD you'll get SSD designated for HDD caching (SSD unavailable for general use).

Disconnect both drives. Can you get into BIOS?
Set sata controller to AHCI.
Connect SSD only.
Boot from Windows installation media and perform clean install of windows.

Reactions: Josh888

Josh888

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
What model SSD?
With sata controller in RST mode and NVME SSD you'll get SSD designated for HDD caching (SSD unavailable for general use).

Disconnect both drives. Can you get into BIOS?
Set sata controller to AHCI.
Connect SSD only.
Boot from Windows installation media and perform clean install of windows.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The SSD is an SK hynix M.2, not sure of the exact model. It's a laptop so prebuilt.

I can enter the BIOS with both drives removed. However, as soon as I reconnect the SSD I run into the same issue where it's stuck on the post screen and I can't enter the BIOS.

I'm not opposed to replacing the SSD if there's any chance that would solve it. I had no issues with it prior to the RAM reseat so I doubt it's defective, but may be irrecoverable at this point.

You could connect SSD via USB external enclosure.
Here model name of the drive is important.
Some USB M.2 enclosures support NVME drives only, some support SATA M.2 drives only.
Model name is written on a label on SSD. Post photo, if possible (upload to imgur.com and post link).

Install windows on HDD.
Connect SSD with USB external enclosure and try to diagnose it.
But be aware, it may have failed/died already.

Josh888

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Honestly I've been wanting to upgrade to a larger SSD anyway, so I'm going to pick up a new one now and see if I can get to the BIOS stage and get a fresh Windows install on it.

If that doesn't work then I'll go the enclosure route, but at that point I really have issues.

Appreciate the help.

TRENDING THREADS