Recovering webm files from Factory Reset Computer

Jan 14, 2017
I had a feeling my computer was infected with a virus or something and was just generally running slow. I decided to just do a factory reset and after switching/saving most of my files I reset the computer. I now realize that I did not recover some of the videos I was working on. I found something called Wondershare recoverit and used it to recover a whole lot of images and web files but not the webm files I was looking for. Is there anyway to recover those?

Solution
You might have problems even with more advanced recovery apps because of the file type you're trying to recover. When searching for videos / photos / music, these files have a well-known "signature" at the beginning, allowing for recovery apps to guess the file type. Your hope would be for recovery app to recover the folder where your file was stored, as it will contain clues there to look for the file itself.
The problem is that if you have used your computer (and therefore the same hdd) for some time now, those files are probably overwritten by other data. The more the hdd is used (written to), the less the chance is to recover any data.
How long time (lie work hours) did it took from factory reset until you discovered it? How was the partitions organized - or did you stored everything under C:\ ?

JaredDM

Honorable
Wondersahare is garbage software, so don't waste your time there. They're just spammers who are good at getting the name shoved in the faces of people who don't know any better.

First, I'd try scanning the drive using some better data recovery software such as R-Studio (from R-TT) or Recovery Eplorer. Those will have the best chance of actually recovering the files with their correct names and structure.

If that fails, I'm not sure that any programs support file carving of this particular file. You can create a custom carving signature in R-Studio though if you have the right skills. I do it quite often and would just need a few sample files to analyze to create the custom XML for it.

Jan 14, 2017

Ok I will try getting the rstudio software. I probably do not have the right skills so if you were offering to help me I would gladly accept.

You might have problems even with more advanced recovery apps because of the file type you're trying to recover. When searching for videos / photos / music, these files have a well-known "signature" at the beginning, allowing for recovery apps to guess the file type. Your hope would be for recovery app to recover the folder where your file was stored, as it will contain clues there to look for the file itself.

Solution

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Phillip, I was going to mention OP try to regain the earlier partition, however, do you believe it's too for that? Earlier, I was able first backup my existing Data partition onto external media, then recover the lost partition OS from the un-allocated space (of course losing the data partition in the process), backed up the OS partition onto external media. Finally, used Macrium Reflect again to restore both OS and data partitions -- however, that sure is a geeky process even if done immediately upon discovery of losing a partition! What do you think, Phillip?