Recovering word files from a USB drive

tallmantim

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hello all

I have tried undelete tools (various) to recover files from a USB drive - to no avail.

I would like to use a Hex Editor (HxD or FlexHex) to scan the entire drive contents - I know some of the key phrases from within the word (docx) documents, however the internals of those files are not in plain text. I am unsure what format they are in - does anyone know how I could do a search for a text string in ANSI/ASCII for whatever format Word writes its docx format in for the constituent text?

Many thanks.

Tim

tallmantim

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Just in case anyone comes across this looking for the same sort of answer:

Microsoft's docx format stores the content in a bunch of xml files encapsulated within a zip file. You can rename a docx file to .zip and open it with an archive tool. You can use zip repair tools to recover information too if a docx file won't open in Word.

There is also a tool for doing this automatically to recover text:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/damageddocx2txt/

this gives you the text component of a docx file. You could also copy out a segment of a disk page from using a hex editor etc and copying the file out to use with the tool.

In this case, it looks like it was a virus/worm/etc that deleted and scrubbed the data on the USB drive. I found 11 docx files that were completely zeroed out which is the approximate number that were under the folder that was lost.

Unfortunately, the virus hit just her PhD folder - a couple of months work that she did not have backed up anywhere else! Told her the sad news that it is completely unrecoverable.