[SOLVED] Recovery and Restore issue - "one of the tasks performe during the process failed or has been cancelled"

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
I recently found an old laptop (with a password that everyone had forgotten) which the Dell Customer Service told me to use the "recovery and restore" app on.

So what I ended up doing was using one 16GB Sandisk USB to do the job. Apparently the issue is that lt required another USB (of 15320 MB, apparently) to actually do a backup of the information. Well, I don't have one of these as-is, and so I pressed "skip" on keeping information.

It gave me "Personal settings and user data backup, one of the tasks performed during the process failed or has been cancelled. Please remove any connected USB Key/hard drive and click on Restart to reboot the system. If the problem persists, plug in the USB key and restart your computer. We will install a fresh copy of your Operating System."

Well, I did that, restarted, did it over with the same results. What to do?

Solution
First, do you have a password or not? If not by policy there is not much the site can help you with. If the password is with Windows, then you'll likely need to do a clean install. Otherwise, my guess is your going to need another USB to complete the R&R, or get a Windows 7 install media and do the clean install.
First, do you have a password or not? If not by policy there is not much the site can help you with. If the password is with Windows, then you'll likely need to do a clean install. Otherwise, my guess is your going to need another USB to complete the R&R, or get a Windows 7 install media and do the clean install.

Solution