Recovery cds

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Does the Dimension 8400 come with individual recovery cds as - operating
system, drivers, and applications - so you cna install what you want OR does
it come with an image file only that forces you to only be able to restore
all to factory configuration? It appears that many computers are going to
the image file. I don't want that.
Also how many empty hard drive bays are inside?
Thanks
Pam
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
news:GPKid.115078$5v2.107011@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> Does the Dimension 8400 come with individual recovery cds as - operating
> system, drivers, and applications - so you cna install what you want

yes

> Also how many empty hard drive bays are inside?

2 hard drive bays and two optical drive bays
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:l_Kid.8471$fC4.4699@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> news:GPKid.115078$5v2.107011@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>> Does the Dimension 8400 come with individual recovery cds as - operating
>> system, drivers, and applications - so you cna install what you want
>
> yes
>
>> Also how many empty hard drive bays are inside?
>
> 2 hard drive bays and two optical drive bays
>
.........but 4 SATA connectors and an IDE connector on the motherboard! The
board will therefore theoretically accommodate six storage devices but the
case won't!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

You may want to call and ask - Dell is in the process of changing from
shipping media with the system, to shipping with a drive-based restore
partition only - though you will, apparently, be given the option to obtain
the disc if you ask, chances are it's going to be a restore set, not a
Windows XP CD.

Since just about all OEMs these days (HP/Compaq, Gateway/eMachines, etc.)
are doing this, it sounds like something Microsoft is requiring of OEMs.



"Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
news:GPKid.115078$5v2.107011@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> Does the Dimension 8400 come with individual recovery cds as - operating
> system, drivers, and applications - so you cna install what you want OR
> does it come with an image file only that forces you to only be able to
> restore all to factory configuration? It appears that many computers are
> going to the image file. I don't want that.
> Also how many empty hard drive bays are inside?
> Thanks
> Pam
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Its not a bad idea until the consumers blast the recovery partition, at
which point they are bugging dell to send them "media" to be able to do a
restore. It happens all the time.

- NuTs

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:%9Uid.16883$bG6.13211@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
> You may want to call and ask - Dell is in the process of changing from
> shipping media with the system, to shipping with a drive-based restore
> partition only - though you will, apparently, be given the option to
obtain
> the disc if you ask, chances are it's going to be a restore set, not a
> Windows XP CD.
>
> Since just about all OEMs these days (HP/Compaq, Gateway/eMachines, etc.)
> are doing this, it sounds like something Microsoft is requiring of OEMs.
>
>
>
> "Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> news:GPKid.115078$5v2.107011@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> > Does the Dimension 8400 come with individual recovery cds as - operating
> > system, drivers, and applications - so you cna install what you want OR
> > does it come with an image file only that forces you to only be able to
> > restore all to factory configuration? It appears that many computers
are
> > going to the image file. I don't want that.
> > Also how many empty hard drive bays are inside?
> > Thanks
> > Pam
> >
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I had purchased a Gateway from Best Buy and it only came with a "no options"
restore image. I plan to take it back today. I was assured by Gateway.com
that the disks ordered thru them are not images, or at least not completely,
that you do get a windows XP cd. So now a decision to order Gateway or
Dell. The Gateway does have more features for the price however so leaning
that way. Thanks everyone for the responses.
Pam

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
news:V8adnQp9Cac6fRPcRVn-pA@speakeasy.net...
> Its not a bad idea until the consumers blast the recovery partition, at
> which point they are bugging dell to send them "media" to be able to do a
> restore. It happens all the time.
>
> - NuTs
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> news:%9Uid.16883$bG6.13211@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
>> You may want to call and ask - Dell is in the process of changing from
>> shipping media with the system, to shipping with a drive-based restore
>> partition only - though you will, apparently, be given the option to
> obtain
>> the disc if you ask, chances are it's going to be a restore set, not a
>> Windows XP CD.
>>
>> Since just about all OEMs these days (HP/Compaq, Gateway/eMachines, etc.)
>> are doing this, it sounds like something Microsoft is requiring of OEMs.
>>
>>
>>
>> "Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
>> news:GPKid.115078$5v2.107011@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>> > Does the Dimension 8400 come with individual recovery cds as -
>> > operating
>> > system, drivers, and applications - so you cna install what you want OR
>> > does it come with an image file only that forces you to only be able to
>> > restore all to factory configuration? It appears that many computers
> are
>> > going to the image file. I don't want that.
>> > Also how many empty hard drive bays are inside?
>> > Thanks
>> > Pam
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
 

TRENDING THREADS