Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I installed linux, but now I removed and installed it on an other computer. I
want to re-install the original windows boot loader into the master boot
record.

So, I figured the Recovery Console should fix it. But the console won't
accept my admin password for the username I set up as Admin, and Win Xp home
Edition never prompted for a root admin password during setup. Only to enter
desired usernames.

Is there a way to set root administrator password, or that recovery accepts
a username with admin capabilities?

If not, is there an other way I can re-install original boot loader?

Thanks

Mikey

Have you tried leaving the password blank?

"Mikey" wrote:

> I installed linux, but now I removed and installed it on an other computer. I
> want to re-install the original windows boot loader into the master boot
> record.
>
> So, I figured the Recovery Console should fix it. But the console won't
> accept my admin password for the username I set up as Admin, and Win Xp home
> Edition never prompted for a root admin password during setup. Only to enter
> desired usernames.
>
> Is there a way to set root administrator password, or that recovery accepts
> a username with admin capabilities?
>
> If not, is there an other way I can re-install original boot loader?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mikey

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks I can get in now. But how to I overwrite the old linux boot loader.
Can't seem to find the right function in the recovery console

"chfields" wrote:

> Have you tried leaving the password blank?
>
> "Mikey" wrote:
>
> > I installed linux, but now I removed and installed it on an other computer. I
> > want to re-install the original windows boot loader into the master boot
> > record.
> >
> > So, I figured the Recovery Console should fix it. But the console won't
> > accept my admin password for the username I set up as Admin, and Win Xp home
> > Edition never prompted for a root admin password during setup. Only to enter
> > desired usernames.
> >
> > Is there a way to set root administrator password, or that recovery accepts
> > a username with admin capabilities?
> >
> > If not, is there an other way I can re-install original boot loader?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mikey

You should be able to use fixboot or fixmbr

"Mikey" wrote:

> Thanks I can get in now. But how to I overwrite the old linux boot loader.
> Can't seem to find the right function in the recovery console
>
> "chfields" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried leaving the password blank?
> >
> > "Mikey" wrote:
> >
> > > I installed linux, but now I removed and installed it on an other computer. I
> > > want to re-install the original windows boot loader into the master boot
> > > record.
> > >
> > > So, I figured the Recovery Console should fix it. But the console won't
> > > accept my admin password for the username I set up as Admin, and Win Xp home
> > > Edition never prompted for a root admin password during setup. Only to enter
> > > desired usernames.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to set root administrator password, or that recovery accepts
> > > a username with admin capabilities?
> > >
> > > If not, is there an other way I can re-install original boot loader?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Mikey

When in the recovery console, type "help" (without quotes) to see all
available commands. To get more info about a specific command, type the
command followed by "/?" (without quotes) and then hit the return key.