mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hello, I've got a ~4 year old Toshiba laptop that while it has modest capabilities, serves my needs as a road and backup computer well, except for the 60G HD that is just too small. I do have a "Recovery" disc for it, still sealed in plastic, can I use that to install XP on the new HD? I see conflicting info on that and yes I have searched. I also have a full OEM copy of XP for my desktop and a new and unused Acrois True Image 11. The computer is running well, I have minimal software installed on it, so no issue there, I just want more HD space.

Solution
just plug in the hard drive and save the old one, if your install fails you can always plug the old drive back in.
do u have an IDE connector? the jumpers on the new drive may need to be set, it is better to get the tech manual for the drive from the drive manufacturer

I think your recovery disk from the manufacturer has a better chance of working, hopefully it will allow formatting the new drive. But you can't tell what they gave you until you open it and run it.
just plug in the hard drive and save the old one, if your install fails you can always plug the old drive back in.
do u have an IDE connector? the jumpers on the new drive may need to be set, it is better to get the tech manual for the drive from the drive manufacturer

I think your recovery disk from the manufacturer has a better chance of working, hopefully it will allow formatting the new drive. But you can't tell what they gave you until you open it and run it.

Solution