Recovery from Failed W10 Reinstall/Reset

gpotter511

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2014
Good evening -

This afternoon I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 from the USB, in an attempt to move from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Repeated attempts to reinstall failed at the restart point - the screen would go to black. Upon hard restart, I would get a SAFE_OS message.

I next attempted to "Reset this PC". This, again, resulted in the screen going to black at the restart point.

Upon hard restart, Windows 10 loaded up - but is in a severely compromised state. Most of the C: drive has been cleared out, and the operating system is non-functional. So, Windows will load - but it's gimped.

So far I am unable to access or utilize the Advanced Startup or Advanced Recovery options menus. I cannot format the C: drive, nor can I get the computer to load from the USB boot - I get the black screen with no options.

I have only one monitor, a Samsung 34 inch curved.

Recommendations on how best to proceed? Can I:

• Somehow format the drive and perform a clean install
    Purchase a new SSD, install in place of my existing one, and perform a clean install?
    Some third option I have not yet considered?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

gpotter511

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2014
Some additional strange behavior: throughout this entire experience I have not seen the POST or boot screen. With Windows 7, there was a Gigabyte screen with a Boot Screen option (F12). Since installing Windows 10, this no longer appears. The first screen I see is the login screen.

If I insert the Windows 10 USB drive, the monitor turns on but never receives input and the monitor remains blank. If I hit "delete" to pull up the Boot Screen, the same thing occurs. In both instances, the computer turns off with a simple press of the power button, instead of pressing and holding.

If I simply turn it on without the W10 USB drive inserted, it goes to the login screen - and the compromised version of Windows - without incident.

gpotter511

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2014
My current intentions are to purchase a new HD, remove the existing two hard drives in place, and attempt to fresh install W10 onto the new one. I'm hoping this will circumvent the Windows 10 issue as well as any suspected motherboard issues.

Thoughts and suggestions remain greatly appreciated.