Question Recovery Media for Dynabook Portege X30-G ?

7adm

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello everybody!

I ran into a problem with the pre-installed recovery-data on my Portege X30.
Recently I purchased a replacement mainboard for my device, which originally is a X30-F model (8th gen i5). The replacement mainboard however, is from a X30-G model (10th gen i5). The laptop works with the replacement on the previously installed Win10 from the 8th gen unit, as besides the slight CPU-upgrade, there are virtually no differences between those board-revisions.

I still wanted to do a fresh reinstall, where of course I ran into trouble, because the X30-F recovery partition was not designed for the X30-G board. A vanilla Win10 install has the downside, that all the preinstalled dynabook software is missing, and cannot be side-loaded (I wasn't able to find any stand-alone downloads for those, only drivers are available).

So I browsed the dynabook support pages for recovery media specific for the 10th gen board serial number, as it can be ordered. However, this mainboard was designated for the "Americas"-support region and dynabook does not offer shipping of the recovery media to Europe (I live in Germany).

Are any of you aware of another way to acquire a recovery-media iso? Maybe some other website or server I didn't come across? I would very much like to be able to recover the device properly, should the need arise.

The dynabook unit details lookup has yielded the following information about the software:
Preinstalled Software: GX5C00005110
SW Images: TIS00331Z0E

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to contact Microsoft and inform them of the motherboard change and your credentials to verify it's you, unless you can login with your email to the account with which the OS license is tethered to.

The The BIOS is where the license key for the OS is stored, so a motherboard swap is what's preventing you from the OS activation(or so that's what I read).

A vanilla Win10 install has the downside, that all the preinstalled dynabook software is missing, and cannot be side-loaded (I wasn't able to find any stand-alone downloads for those, only drivers are available).
You should manually reinstall all relevant drivers for your laptop in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

7adm

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
@Lutfij
Hey, thanks for you reply.

Alas, I think you misunderstood my issue. The Windows 10 activation works without problem, as it is (as you mentioned) stored in the system Bios.

My problem is, that system relevant Win10 apps (like Dynabook Settings) cannot longer be used, because they are not freely downloadable from the Windows Store. It seems they have to come preinstalled for the store to recognize them as part of the current system.

So in short, drivers and activation are not the real problem, the unavailability of the dynabook settings app is...

TRENDING THREADS