Recovery problem, need help

My computer won't boot, do I need boot cd's?
I'm trying to use 8 cd's from hp for recovery. I don't care about saving
data, I'll start fresh. When the 8 cd's are done loading, I get the
message, "cannot
format user partition" "recovery cannot continue". When I start without the
cd's, I get the message, "NTLDR is missing" I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks for your response, I'll try to answer your questions. I have a 514n hp
pavillion. I do F10 and when it asks I put the 8 cd's in, yes they're from
hp. I'm using them as recovery. I don't have a retail win XP disk.
When the 8 cd's are done loading, I get the message, "cannot format user
partition" "recovery cannot continue". When I try to start computer, I get