Recovever lost data from a partially re-formatted ext hard drive.

jakey2323

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I'm sure there have been questions similar to this asked before but...

I recently accidentally started to re-format my external hard drive. I used the normal (slow) format. I hit format, walked away for no more then a minute, the status bar hadn't moved at all, and it looked like nothing was happening, thats when I looked closer and realized I had been re-formatting my other drive (with many many important things on it).

What I am wondering is what are the chances of getting any data back since it was only partially re-formatted, and since I used the normal not the quick format.

I've got tons of recovery programs, but I am currently trying GetDataBack. However it takes 14+ hours to scan the drive! So I won't know till tomorrow. I tried Active Undelete, as I heard good reviews. It scanned for 11 hours, completed and after an hour of trying to see how to recover files I couldn't see any way of finding lost files. It just said scan results, and I saw no files.

Any opinion and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jake

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

What operating system are you using? There is a large difference what is done when running a full (non quick) format between XP and Vista/7.