Question Recreate a motherboard

Dlaube

Reputable
May 4, 2015
This may not be the right place to post this but here it goes anyways. Feel free to delete or move it.

I am far from a hardware expert, and quite frankly I'm not even that good with computers.

Could a motherboard be duplicated by recreating its traces using actual wires and placing the chips, resistors, capacitors, sockets, etc., in an identical location within the wires as they appear within the traces.
The idea would be to create a cool layout of an existing design over a larger area, something akin to a "desk PC", maybe with a clear resin over of the top of it.

Now apart from the glaringly obvious tediousness of something like this, are there any other issues that would render this completely infeasible? Issues such as the resistance of the wires versus the trace, voltage drop over longer runs especially when dealing with millivolt....other stuff that might simple be well over my scope of motherboards. Could this even be possible? Or, should I just let me dreams be dreams.

This may not be the right place to post this but here it goes anyways. Feel free to delete or move it.

I am far from a hardware expert, and quite frankly I'm not even that good with computers.

Could a motherboard be duplicated by recreating its traces using actual wires and placing the chips, resistors, capacitors, sockets, etc., in an identical location within the wires as they appear within the traces.
The idea would be to create a cool layout of an existing design over a larger area, something akin to a "desk PC", maybe with a clear resin over of the top of it.

Now apart from the glaringly obvious tediousness of something like this, are there any other issues that would render this completely infeasible? Issues such as the resistance of the wires versus the trace, voltage drop over longer runs especially when dealing with millivolt....other stuff that might simple be well over my scope of motherboards. Could this even be possible? Or, should I just let me dreams be dreams.
Simply: no.

The reason is modern motherboards operate so fast the trace lengths and spacing are as critical as any other component in the board. So simply wiring the interconnects could not possibly achieve the consistent spacing and precise path lengths critical for operation.

This is especially true in four principle areas: the data link paths interconnecting the CPU, memory and PCIe sockets and chipset. Which is pretty much everything aside from the LAN chip and audio chip!

Dlaube

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I kind of figured something like that in much less technical terms. Thanks for the quick response.

I wont delete this in case of the incredible off chance that somebody is looking for similar information.
Or if anyone else has anything to add.

USAFRet

Titan
Your problem is physical distance. Just for the RAM to CPU conversation, the number of physical wires would fill a space the size of your house.
And would not work, due to the time it takes for a signal to go from end to end.

To recreate a 40 year old CPU:
F5CAWI5H1KHA9ZO.LARGE.jpg

TRENDING THREADS