• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Recurrent BSODs and random restarts

YoussefKaram

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
My setup:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Deluxe
CPU: i7-6700k with Corsair H110i
GPU: 2 x NVIDIA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
RAM: 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400MHz
PSU: Corsair HX 1200i
SSD (OS): Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Additional Storage: Samsung 860 Evo SSD 2TB + Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB + WD 4TB HDD
Additional USB Ports: Inateck 5 x USB3.0 ports

This has been happening for a while. After building my PC, it was running perfectly for a year. After that, I bought the Oculus Rift and it was some period after that I started experiencing issues. First, I got a BSOD and a system restore was not working, so I had to reset my PC which was pretty annoying due to the extremely slow internet I have in my country. It then happened a second time but I read somewhere that the ASMedia USB 3.1 was causing the problem and after disabling the 3.1 ports from BIOS, it worked fine. After that, I made sure all of my USB devices are unplugged when I turn on my PC and everything worked fine from there. A year later, it gave me another BSOD while I was gaming and none of the previous solutions worked so I had to reset my PC again. Now, after the reset, I haven't used the Rift yet but the PC has been restarting when I leave it on and it goes to sleep (which started happening after my Windows was updating but got stuck at 80%, restarted and everything went back to "normal"). Again, I searched to see if someone has the same problem and disable fast startup and hadn't noticed any problem until that one time, my mouse was not responding after the display turned off (computer was not sleeping) no matter which USB port I plug it in and would only work if I restart and sometimes even when it is working, I couldn't click on any Windows service (Start button, Minimize, etc.) but the other applications were working (I could use Chrome if it was on the foreground but couldn't minimize it because it just wouldn't click). Recently, I've been getting the BSOD with the ":(" sad face and my PC would restart with all USB devices not working, and just stay at the Motherboard screen saying "Please press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS". I have to restart using the button on my case for everything to work normally again. The last time the :( BSOD happened, I was downloading the ISO file for Windows 10 build 1909 because I had noticed that Windows never updated after the failed update attempt and was stuck on version 10240 and would say that my PC is up to date.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me solve my problem because at this point I have no clue what is going on. I just want to game normally and I use my VR headset which has been in the box for a year because I've been scared to use it and cause another permanent BSOD.

Thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY