Recurring bizarre but crippling issue with PC

JaegerBudgie

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Hey all,

So I've had my PC for a couple months now, and twice this bizarre and infuriating thing has happened (btw I don't know if this is the right place to post as I'm not even sure what kind of issue this is).

The first time it happened, I completely reset windows and it seemed to be fixed. But now it's happened again and is completely crippling for everything I use my PC for. This was completely out of the blue (yesterday it was going fine, today its a mess). So here's a list of what happens:

- When I turn the PC on, gputweak automatically opens as does ledcontrolservice, which appears to control my GPU lighting.

- I cannot restart, sleep, hibernate, or shut down my pc with the buttons in windows. This can only be done by holding down my chassis power button. If I try to shut it down through windows, it displays the shutting down screen with the spinning logo, but my PC stays on with a green led illuminated.

- Task manager is frozen. The information on it updates extremely slowly, like once every 30 seconds. I can't end tasks, change startup applications etc.

- Chrome will not open and will instead be a white screen, soon followed by an invisible window title "Page unresponsive".

- I can't open applications like steam, origin, etc. They open and appear in task manager (static, of course) but do not appear on the screen or in the taskbar.

- One particular program, the Star Citizen launcher, appears as a transparent window when opened.

- Discord opens fine and works.

- MS Edge (which I used to see if web browsing worked) cannot access webpages and freezes when I try to open it.

Honestly, I have no clue what could be causing this, and it means my PC is simply unusable. I don't know if it's a hardware thing or a software thing.

My specs are:

- R5 1600

- X370-F ROG Strix Motherboard

- 16GB 3000mHz ddr4 G.Skill trident z

- Asus ROG STRIX 1060 6GB

- MX500 500GB ssd (C drive)

- WD Blue 1TB HDD (E drive)

- Corsair RM 650i PSU

Help is appreciated!

Solution

Well that was unexpected and your welcome. If problem arises again process of elimination.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Need to boot windows using diagnostics startup, try basics first - just the core windows programs.

Open msconfig to select startup mode and work from there.

My suspicion is software since it was running well after a reset. If it was hardware the problems would be immediate.

JaegerBudgie

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

[strike]I can't get it to restart. It says "restarting" and eventually my monitor recieves no signal (turned off), but my PC keeps running fine.[/strike]
Lol, just as I sent the reply it restarted. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the advice.

UPDATE:
So I've done what you advised and now it seems to be doing better. Chrome opens this time, so do the applications but now I:

- Have no internet access
- "The audio service is not running"
- Other things like that.

I assume this is as a result of using msconfig, what are my steps from here?

UPDATE 2:
It's... fixed? I went back into normal startup from diagnostic without changing anything related to services and it's working again. Thanks for the idea!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Diagnostic startup loads basic devices and services only so not surprised sound went but intrigued your internet service went though but guess that's just how it goes.

So we know the PC or rather Windows runs fine with essential software. In Msconfig return the setting to normal startup mode. Then Under the Startup tab uncheck all startup item. Long process depending how many items you have in that list but one particular in that list is causing you grief. However you decide to quicken your efforts is upto you but unchecking all then restart, then process of elimination. Tick each one separately following a restart to find the culprit.

JaegerBudgie

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

It's... fixed? I went back into normal startup from diagnostic without changing anything related to services and it's working again. Thanks for the idea!

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Well that was unexpected and your welcome. If problem arises again process of elimination.

Solution