Recurring BSOD when trying to download steam game

charles.pwr

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
Recurring BSOD when trying to download steam game - kmode_exception_not_handled ntfs.sys

Every time I try to install a game on steam (this game has been installed before, and I see other people playing it) My computer crashes and I get the BSOD, and my computer will boot up, and I can do everything else just fine, it's just this that is giving me problems, it happened to another game I tried to install, but it went away, My drivers are updated, Windows is updated, and I don't know what the issue is.

(This is only happening on one of my drivers, my other driver can install it just fine.)

(This Hard drive used to be a server driver, I don't know if that's part of the problem, would I have to set it up a certain way to configure it/set it up for a normal pc? Would I have to re-format it?)

Sounds like the hard drive is failing.

charles.pwr

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018

Okay, but I'm just confused, because if my hard drive is failing, shouldn't I not be able to do anything? I can play games that are installed on that hard drive just fine, but when I try to install things, that's when it gives me issues, should I just defrag it?

Not necessarily, a drive may work fine but the next day die on you. This still might not be HDD related. Have you contacted Steam support? I would begin there. Also, you can download the HDD's manufactures testing software and see what the drives state is. This is what I found pertaining to the error you are getting (Win 10) and defragmenting your drive wont help in this situation. Keep at it and best of luck.

charles.pwr

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018

Thank you for your help I appreciate it, but I don't think it's steam because my other hard drive can download the game just fine, I will try the HDD's manufactures testing software though, thanks.