[SOLVED] Recurring CPU Temperature Issues

Sep 27, 2019
After posting here a month or two ago about high temperature for my CPU after activating the XMP profile for my Ram, I was able to bring them back down a pinch with new ML120 fans on my H100iv2 and with better applied thermal paste. Now they are back at unreasonable numbers for the hardware I have. The new Call of Duty runs at 100+ frames on max everything, but the CPU stays around 80C to 85C, and Battlefield 5, which used to run fine before XMP being on, is now hitting as high as 87C while playing. My idle temps are 34C to 40C, and with chrome chugging away it stays are 37C to 42C. I have updated my Bios to the latest (F22m). I need this to go away, and I know its my fault for building or applying something wrong, I'm just the wrong person to find the issue.

*So things I tried after the Bios update were to reapply thermal paste, which worked for about a week before the temps were back to what I mentions. I have cleaned my AIO rad thoroughly, but have noticed some damaged fins and some dust that will not be removed by my electronics vacuum or a paint brush. After that reapply, I noticed my H100I v2's pump was not all the way tight on one corner. Tighting that dropped my temperatures to an all time low of 28C Idle and 78C under heavy load.
Then, this past week, I left my apt to go out for a bit and left my PC idling. When I had came back after about an hour or so, I noticed my PC had been restarted. Nothing besides seemed out of the ordinary until I opened a game and saw the high temperatures again. When I opened ICUE, it was not detecting my Keyboard or my H100i v2. After reinstalling the app, the result was the same. They were only recognized when i restarted my PC myself. The temperatures themselves never went down after that.

Thanks in advance for the help.

CPU: i7-6700k at 4.2ghz
GPU: GTX 1080ti
RAM: G.Skill 32GB at 3.2ghz
MoBo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
Cooling: Corsair AIO H100iv2 with ML120 fans, 200mm side pannel fan, 2 front mounted 120mm fans, and one rear 120mm fan.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019
It general a slow build up, but just entering game in the new COD gets my temperature up to 77C - 79C then builds to 80C's instantly. THough as I am saying that, I just turned the fans on ICUE to the "Extreme" setup, and guess what, my temps only hit 81C in COD with a stream open in chrome... That seemed to be part of the problem, but its still, its hitting 81C which it never did even with a stream or youtube video in the background

When the system is running hot feel both the tubes on the AIO cooler, one should be noticeably warmer than the other (at first) but as the system runs for a while the temp should even out a bit, if there is good flow.
Id have to point it at either a bad mount to the CPU, a failing pump, or possibly poor icue management of your fans/pump (they may not be running at the speeds you set).

How old is the cooler? An RMA might be a decent idea considering you already went through the basic troubleshooting steps.
Other ideas could be too much thermal paste, or poor cooler contact. A way to check this is to take a picture of the CPU and waterblock after taking the cooler off, but leaving the paste alone.

Sep 27, 2019
Most likely no. I am saving up to build a mid-range PC for a simracing rig, and will mostly likely stick to aircooling for now. I'll move my 212 evo to that build, and get a NH-D15 for my maintower... if everything goes to plan ahaha