Recycling Ram instead of throwing away

PC BUILDER

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I am getting a new set of ddr3 ram for my build and have a customer with a lga 1155 build that wants his memory upgraded. With me getting new memory i have been trying to think of a way to make money off my old. I also do not want to loose another customer. I searched the memory model and it is compatible with his build and motherboard but i have only seen it in 8 gb being compatible instead of my full 12. if i install the full 12 would that put it in single channel mode or triple? 3x4 gb dimms. Thank You for your help.

Put in 2x4GB and sell the other 4GB elsewhere. Never throw RAM away ;)

Besides my suggestion, 2x4GB would run in dual channel and the other 4GB in single channel, as soon as the 8GB are busy. If your customer really needs 12GB, you can install all 3 without problems. It doesn´t decrease performance. The additional 4GB are kind of buffer, so the OS doesn´t have to write to the hard drive.

very old article about the flex technology, but still valid:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-stakes-vision-pc-future-775-launch,830-28.html

asymmetric

PC BUILDER

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
What i am trying to find out is if i put the 3 rd in will it run in triple channel or will having all 3 in make it run in single channel mode? I will run in dual channel and 8 gb if that is the best i can get out of the memory.