stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Okay, so here is a build that is about to be purchased for a friend. He has procured my services to build, OC and then ship to him. Gotta love friends, right?

So, I offered him 4 different build possibilities; 3 Intel options and 1 AMD option. He ended up selecting the following build:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6522205

I just want to have one final check to make sure we are clear for launch. His budget is teetering around $800.00. This build comes in at $850.00 with tax and shipping. He was cool with that. Any potential things that need to be looked at here? I plan to OC this thing as far as I can before I send it off to him back in New York (I'm in California).

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
OMG....I think I should also just tell you this...I just took a bite of a tri-tip I just bar-b-que'd on my new Bar-B-Q....and this is the greatest tasting steak I have ever had....omg Emeril's Steak Rub is fantastic!!!!

Pick a different DVD drive.

The Samsung SH-S203B for instance, is a much better drive. And it is SATA.

I would also pick a different case... I wasnt too happy with my centurion 534.

joelg88

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
Looks like a nice system . if he puts down an extra $30 than you probably get him 4gb. Good job on picking the components.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

What's the advantage of a SATA DVD drive over a IDE DVD drive?

As far as the case is concerned, its the best at the price range. Not sure if there is anything else that is as good at that same $50-60 price range. If he had more money, I would have had him buy a Lian-Li case, but those hover close to $100.

SATA cables are easier to route, and cause less air flow resistance. Not to mention IDE is a dying standard... like AGP. Im pretty sure theryre are already motherboards with no IDE connections, while most only have one these days.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

Good point. The mobo I have selected only comes with one IDE cable. The SATA version of this DVD Burner is only a buck more, so I have made the change.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah, I'm waiting for him to decide on the RAM situation. For only $25.00 more, he can get 4GB of the same Crucial Ballistix RAM. I'm hoping he'll see the light there.

I would have loved for him to get an E8400 or a Q9450 for that matter, but the price increase was too great. Besides, for what he does, a stock E7200 should be perfect. I'm OCing with his permission really to satisfy my thirst for playing with one of these things since I'm still living in the AMD dark ages with my socket 939. I'm just sitting here waiting for AMD to give me a reason to build a new system using their processors (yes...its true...I am an AMD fanboy!).