Red cpu led asus z87 plus

jimwinnebango

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
So this is my second build, first water cooling, and the CPU led was on as soon as I turned it on for the first time, won't boot or go to bios just a black screen. So thinking I might've bent some pins or something I took everything out and checked for bent pins. Nope. Did a bench test with just the stock cooler and one stick of ram and...everything was fine. Got to bios, got a boot device led but I didn't have any sata cables hooked up so that was expected. Put everything back in, bled my loop, turned it on, and the light comes on again! I tried hooking it up to a different power supply and using only one stick of ram just like on my bench, and still nothing. The only difference between now and my bench test is the waterblock I have on the CPU. I tried loosening it a little, nothing. Any help please?

Pc specs
CPU: i5-4670k
Motherboard: asus z87 plus
Ram: corsair xms ddr3 1600
Psu: seasonic x850 (now hooked up to corsair tx750 from my bench test)
Gpu: gtx 770
Cooling: custom loop with xspc raystorm block

Solution
one last thing to do is unplug the case and usb cables..could be a bad fan or bad usb cable. also check the front case wires for cuts or shorts.

jimwinnebango

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Pretty sure I didn't spill anything, bled it for a few hours and nothing leaked. Twice. I can't see anything part of the block touching the mobo. Just the CPU and the retaining clip as far as I can tell

jimwinnebango

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
So I've ruled out the io shield and dead short. I tried to boot once without the mounting screws and again without the io shield as well. nothing both times. I'm using the onboard video of the mobo just like on my bench so it's not the gpu.

that is a case fan the photos i seen of them are there four pins. if you can try plugging that fan into the other fan port. also check that the cable your plugging in is not a 4 pin fan/floppy power cable from the power supply or from a fan controller from your case. some case have fan controllers.

jimwinnebango

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
If its a case fan port then it just must be bad or something because everything is fine once I unplugged it. It's just the had fan and I have a spare port on y controller I can use so no big deal. Much less worse than I initially feared. At least I isolated the problem though