Question Red CPU LED blinking on mobo

Sep 4, 2021
Hello, and thank you in advance.

Two days ago I added a new graphic card to my setup, a RX580. It was working fine

Yesterday, I was playing CSGO and just left my desk for a few minutes. When i came back, the PC was restarting in a loop every half second. the mother board is showing the red CPU light flashing. I tried to remove everything and i was able to start the computer without the graphics card. I then shut down the computer to plug in the GPU. I was able to log in and see the desktop for a few minutes before the computer shuts down and goes into that same loop. I must have replugged almost everything 3 times; waited few hours

I noticed that whatever i try, the computer will not start after the moment this bug happens, but after a few hours untouched, i am able to boot it (i turned the computer on this morning, and the problem came back after a few minutes running)

CPU: i7-7700
RAM: corsair vengeance 8gb
Motherboard: H110M pro-d
GPU: AMD RX580
Storage: 1TB SSHD + 1TB SSD

Thanks again for your help =

Sep 4, 2021
No, it still does not boot after i remove the gpu. Once, i got the VGA light on, and after i connected the monitor, it booted for a few minutes before shutting down again

Now when i start the power, the PC start for half a second, the fans start spinning, CPU Ez debug LED turn on, and it loops until i turn the power switch off

No, it still does not boot after i remove the gpu. Once, i got the VGA light on, and after i connected the monitor, it booted for a few minutes before shutting down again

Now when i start the power, the PC start for half a second, the fans start spinning, CPU Ez debug LED turn on, and it loops until i turn the power switch off
If using xmp turn it off and test.
If no help unplug from the wall...remove the bios bat...go to the store and buy a new one....press and hold the power button for 20 secs....install new bat...test.

Sep 4, 2021
Oh isee.. I just turned XMP on the other day. But i cannot go into BIOS, does it mean the CMOS battery is dead ? Okay i'm going to get another one now and try

i replaced the battery but no changes xD at least i got a new battery!
How do you remove the bat then go to the store and buy a new bat then come back and replace the bat in 18 mins?

Try this...unplug from the wall...remove the bios bat...wait 20 mins...press and hold the power button for 20 secs....install the bat...no gpu..no monitor...test.

Sep 4, 2021
How do you remove the bat then go to the store and buy a new bat then come back and replace the bat in 18 mins?
PC was already open, i just took the battery to the shop (which is nearby) and asked for a replacement. it costed 2,5 £ .

I am waiting now 20 mins to try again. Thanks for the advice

Sep 4, 2021
Yes you're correct. I have the cpu and ram only connected at the moment.

After a few tests, i have a solid red light when I unplug the cpu. Otherwise it reboots every half second.

Yes you're correct. I have the cpu and ram only connected at the moment.

After a few tests, i have a solid red light when I unplug the cpu. Otherwise it reboots every half second.
Move the mobo onto a piece of cardboard.
All you want connected is psu/mobo/cpu-hsf/one stick of ram.
Quick short the power pins on the mobo.
If it still does the power cycling your down to 4 parts.

Sep 4, 2021
Hello,
Thank you for your advices. Now that i did that, it no longer reboots in cycle. I have a solid red CPU light when i turn the pc on, which might mean that the problem comes from the cpu!

I did not mention it but as i was changing the thermal paste last week, i broke off one of the 4 pins of the cpu heatsink (similar to the one on the picture below) but it should not be a problem as it's holding fairly with the three others

I will replace this pin and retry, before getting a new cpu.
Thanks again.

Sep 4, 2021
Tried a new cpu with a new heat sink, didn’t work. I also got a new motherboard to see if my old one is faulty but it still did not work.
Do you have any idea ? (No post- red light on mobo )

ASK THE COMMUNITY