Question Red CPU LED is always on, how to fix ?

Jun 5, 2022
Hey everyone, I built this pc 11 hours ago and I’m still troubleshooting it.
At the beginning I thought that my b550 is not updated to the latest bios, so I did but my 5600x is still not working and the red light is on. I also thought that the cpu cable was malfunctioning so I tried the two outputs it has but still no luck.

I unplugged and replugged the cpu, and cpu fan cable but still nothing. I’ve looked for a bent pin but everything was great on my cpu. So please, I really do not know what more to do here.

The motherboard is used but I don’t understand how it could malfunction to only not read my cpu as the pins are on the cpu not the motherboard. Everything else works (I’m not sure about the ram since I don’t have rgb to indicate it’s on or not).

Specs:
5600x
B550 tomahawk
Ripjaws 16gb 3600mhz
Evga 3080 ftw3
Lian li sp750 sfx psu

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I thought that my b550 is not updated to the latest bios, so I did
How did you update the BIOS?

I also thought that the cpu cable was malfunctioning so I tried the two outputs it has but still no luck.
Can you elaborate on that? What do you men by two outputs?

The motherboard is used
Are you yet able to contact the seller?

Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Jun 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I thought that my b550 is not updated to the latest bios, so I did
How did you update the BIOS?

I also thought that the cpu cable was malfunctioning so I tried the two outputs it has but still no luck.
Can you elaborate on that? What do you men by two outputs?

The motherboard is used
Are you yet able to contact the seller?

Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

I bios flashed it with the usb and button on the back, I followed a tutorial as well to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong mine did the same things as the video.

the cpu cable is a 8 pin female to dual 8 pin cable, meaning that it plugs through one way (one 8 pin connector) from the psu and it goes out to one cable that splits at the end. I guess it’s sort of like a splitter but not really as it runs on one cable until near the end of the cable where it splits. You can find pictures and videos of people unboxing the sp750 you will see the cpu cable.

the used motherboard was bought from Amazon, they were happy to refund me up to 90 days but I’ve been collecting these parts for months so the return window ended on April 17, they did say I can contact the manufacturer, msi might be able to do something about it if the warranty is still active. I should also mention I found a bent pin on one of the usb 2.0 connectors, doesn’t bother me that much as I would never use it but definitely means it’s probably the damaged part.

Either way, I ordered a motherboard from best buy I’ll pick it up in the morning when the store opens and if it works then that would make this very easy to solve. If not… well I’d rather not think about it right now.

Jun 5, 2022
Update: plugged in new motherboard it didn’t work but realized there was something in the pins some hair or dust. Cleaned it and it switched to dram light, I went back to the old mobo and it still doesn’t work but this time it turns on the dram light then switches to cpu light. This NEVER HAPPENED before and I haven’t seen anyone have that before so maybe it’s fixable? I really don’t want to buy another motherboard.