[SOLVED] Red CPU LED is lit, no boot or BIOS ?

OwiHH

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
Hello,

last night i shut my PC into sleepmode. I do this normaly.
In the morning i used usb controller to wake it up and it did but not booted up or showed display.
After checking the Components i saw the red cpu light on.
No beep from the mainboard.
GPU Fan dont run but i think its normal because it starts spinning after succesfull boot if i remind it correct.
I never had any problem with the System for years, no bluescreens, freezes or crashs.

I did a few tests.

Unplugged everything
Only cpu with the 2x4 cpu power plugs and the big mainboard 16 pin cable.
still red light cpu
i checked voltages from the adapter with a multimeter
gpu, cpu and hdd cables looking good
MEMOK switch starts blinking on press
i checked onboard battery with multimeter shows 3.3V
i did cmos clearing
still red cpu light

i guess it is the cpu or mainboard
any ideas or suggestions what else to test?

System:

WIN10 64bit
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (Sockel AM3+, ATX, AMD, 4x DDR3, PC3-17000)
AMD FX 8350 Octa-Core Prozessor (4GHz, Socket AM3+, 16MB Cache, 125 Watt)
4x4 gb samsung PC3 RAM
SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 512bit PCI-E DVI-D
Be quiet! BN145 System Power 7 Stromversorgung (600 Watt, 12V, ATX 2.3)

Solution
I have this exact motherboard with this exact CPU running in one of my rigs. Still works pretty well.

According to the owner's manual, a flashing/blinking MEMOk button means there's an issue with memory. Hold down that button during reboot to get the board to automatically tune the memory. If successful, the BIOS should tell you that it automatically did a tune/retune.

As for the CPU light, that may be a separate, added issue. My guess would be to try the memory troubleshooting first and perhaps try swapping out RAM modules to see if one works, then another, etc. Hopefully it's nothing more than a stick of RAM going belly-up.

This may or may not help with the CPU solid light. If the MEMOk ends up turning off but the CPU light...

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I have this exact motherboard with this exact CPU running in one of my rigs. Still works pretty well.

According to the owner's manual, a flashing/blinking MEMOk button means there's an issue with memory. Hold down that button during reboot to get the board to automatically tune the memory. If successful, the BIOS should tell you that it automatically did a tune/retune.

As for the CPU light, that may be a separate, added issue. My guess would be to try the memory troubleshooting first and perhaps try swapping out RAM modules to see if one works, then another, etc. Hopefully it's nothing more than a stick of RAM going belly-up.

This may or may not help with the CPU solid light. If the MEMOk ends up turning off but the CPU light is still on, I would submit that the motherboard itself died, especially if the CPU light continues to show red regardless of the memory tests and swaps.

Hopefully something helps and isn't actually a motherboard issue. If it is...well, at least a replacement MB isn't too expensive on eBay.

Last edited:
Solution

OwiHH

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
thx for the memok help will try that. i order a new same type board off ebay allready, 150 abit overpriced for my taste but still better then a new system. will report back