Question Red CPU LED...?

Mar 14, 2019
Hey guys, so I recently decided to try and build my first gaming PC. All went well but when I went to Boot my display said “SATA device detected in my

M.2_2 socket. This socket can only be used for PCIe” or something along those lines.

Turns out my SSD was SATA type so I just changed it to M.2_1 which does support SATA.

Easy fix?

No.

After changing M.2 slots my computer will not boot.

Everything turns on except the display and there’s a red CPU LED. Case fans, rad fans, GPU fans, all the RGB is working but no display.

I have unplugged everything from my mobo, removed my ram (as well as switch slots) and still nothing. All my connections are tight and in the proper place. I am getting the correct voltage. I have no bent any pins on my CPU. The CPU cooler is connected properly. I also can’t do anything with BIOS as I have no display.

TLDR Nothing has changed other than switching my SSD from M.2_2 to M.2_1 and now it won’t boot.

I have an ASUS Z390-A Prime mobo

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080

I7-9700k LGA1151

Please help

Remove all hard drives, the computer should post and display the bios information, run through it's normal motherboard checks, then give you a screen that says no disk found.

Did you forget to plug in your CPU power connector, it's separate from the main motherboard connector.

Mar 14, 2019
Yes, with everything removed it starts without the Red LED.
No connections were forgotten.

Not sure why it’d start with everything removed and then not start with it connected. Everything is brand new out of the box.

Mar 14, 2019
Do you have a spare computer and a USB thumb drive?? Try installing linux(Mint LInux) on a separate thumb drive and see if your computer runs and boots from the thumb drive. Then you can safely say your SSD is dead.
With everything disconnected it works.
With everything connected it doesn’t work
With everything connected BUT the SSD it still doesn’t work.
Would you recommend I keep trying to boot it and take off one piece at a time to find the culprit?

Mar 14, 2019
Absolutely, you might have a bad cable with a short in it, or defective device with a short. Do 1 device at a time.
Alright I’ll give it a go. Thanks for your suggestions. I’m new to building so I’m still trying to figure it out as I go. My PSU came with duplicate cables so I’ll strip everything down and rewire it all.

Mar 14, 2019
Absolutely, you might have a bad cable with a short in it, or defective device with a short. Do 1 device at a time.
It just seems odd to me. It was running perfectly one minute. I shut everything off. Unplugged the power cord then switch the ssd to a different slot and now this happens.