Question Red Cpu light and shutting down

Jul 5, 2022
I’ve been having a problem with my pc as of this morning, everything was working fine yesterday. I first noticed the pc was turning off unexpectedly, and the cpu light has gone red on the motherboard. The pc will turn on fine but after 5-10 minutes it will turn off again and the fans and lights will continue running and the pc can only be turned off from the Psu switch after that.

It doesn’t seem to be an issue with the power supply or overheating as things will be running normally and can usually hit gaming temps, I have had it turn off more commonly just on the desktop with nothing running. CPU ran fine on BIOS and hard reset of SSD, but regularly ran into issues booting and on desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have already tried;
Reseating the CPU and GPU
Checking cables are working properly and changing them
Resetting BIOS and the CMOS
Fresh restart on the pc for viruses
Removing RAM and GPU booting normally

PC Specs;
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 super
Corsair Vengeance 2x 16GB
Samsung 970 Evo 1tb SSD (boot)
Seagate barracuda 2tb HDD
MSI Tomahawk B450
Corsair RM750x PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair RM750x PSU
How old is the PSU?

Changing them with what?

Might want to inspect the cooler's mounting on the CPU/motherboard. In fact, I'd suggest breadboarding the innards, then work with the bare minimum parts to see if you're able to remain in OS GUI without it powering off. As for your platform, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? BIOS version for said motherboard?

You should also try and use HWMonitor to see what your temps are just before the system shuts off.

Jul 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair RM750x PSU
How old is the PSU?

Changing them with what?

Might want to inspect the cooler's mounting on the CPU/motherboard. In fact, I'd suggest breadboarding the innards, then work with the bare minimum parts to see if you're able to remain in OS GUI without it powering off. As for your platform, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? BIOS version for said motherboard?

You should also try and use HWMonitor to see what your temps are just before the system shuts off.

All parts were acquired around 2 years ago, so it’s fairly new system, all cables were changed with spare cables that were unused in the box, didn’t see a change.

I reseated the cooler and cpu to make sure everything was running as normal, thermal paste was fine. Did check that it wasn’t overheating in HWMonitor, made sure to have proper airflow with the glass cover off as well, but it kept shutting down even with no programs running (GPU at 30* max and CPU at 50* max on desktop would still cause it to shut down).

Bios is running a 2019 version and was looking to update it however the system now shuts off in BIOS after a few minutes so it may cause problems. While resetting the boot drive there were no problems and remained stable for about an hour afterwards until the problems started again. Could it be an issue with the motherboard?