Red CPU light on, DRAM flashing

Sep 10, 2018
Just built my first computer yesterday, surprisingly everything went great, booted up the first time and I was able to set everything up. I did some light gaming last night and this morning, everything ran great. Ran benchmarks on gpu/cpu/ram and everything was table. Today I activated Windows 10 (had installed without a key to start), and restarted the system to install updates. The computer never turned back on, wasn't sending my monitor a signal, so I tried a different monitor and swapped out the HDMI cord. Still didn't work. Then I noticed my CPU light was on, and the DRAM light is flashing. All of the case fans still work, the GPU fans work, the GPU and other LEDs light up. The MOBO LEDs don't light up, but when I unplug the PSU and plug it back in, the MOBO LEDs flash quickly and then shut off.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: AORUS B450 Pro Wifi
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz (2x8GB)
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8gb
PSU: EVGA 600W White

I had a 2 year warranty on my CPU and Mobo, and my RAM was covered under the 30 day warranty still. I ended up driving to Microcenter and swapping out my CPU/Mobo/RAM, bought a new PSU and rebuilt the entire PC. I had the same exact problem with completely new components. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I managed to get the CPU to post with 1 stick of RAM, ran diagnostics to make sure everything in my PC was recognized (it was), and restarted my PC and added the second stick to see if it would work. It did, but I realized my RAM wasn't on the QVL and I didn't want to risk it happening again, so I decided to bring the RAM back for a completely different brand. Got home today to try it, same problem.

I've taken the CPU out of the case, built it on top of my mobo box with only essential components. Nothing. I've taken the CPU out, re-seated it, re-installed the cooler, checked all the power cables. Tried without the GPU/other peripherals installed. I've tried resetting the CMOS by shorting the pins and removing the battery, nothing worked, however I never even changed anything in the BIOS to begin with.

I have a hard time believing I have gotten 2 faulty CPU/Mobo's. My options now are going to get a third set of CPU/Mobo and rebuilding again, going to buy a different type of RAM, going to buy a motherboard speaker to hopefully get some error codes, or going to BestBuy's Geek Squad and probably paying a ridiculous amount of money.

Please help/Give suggestions.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2018
I ended up getting it to boot somehow by holding down/spamming the reset button on my case until it eventually turned on. What I don’t understand is that I had the RAM in channels 1 and 4 when it finally worked, so I don’t know how that works.

I’m still going to try a different kit I think. But I ran diagnostics and everything showed up, even the 16GB of ram in mismatched channels. Managed to OC it to 3000MHz as well

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

Does the RAM run in dual channel mode or single channel mode?

Sep 10, 2018
Just posting this in case someone else runs into a similar problem. There’s no posts online yet since this motherboard is so new.

Motherboard ended up being dead. I was tired of troubleshooting everything over and over, ended up getting a diagnostic test at my local Microcenter. They rebuilt my system on a new motherboard and it ran fine.

I ended up swapping to the ASUS Rog Strix B450-F and it’s been working great so far.

Wouldn’t recommend getting the Gigabyte AORUS B450 Pro WiFi, as I received 2 dead boards in a row. Store employees told me gigabyte and Ryzen weren’t behaving well and recommended I switched. Happy I did.

Any other questions feel free to message me

Apr 29, 2019
Hi I am having the exact same problem that you had and was wondering if you could give some more details on what you did. Were you clicking the reset button as fast as you could or just holding it down for long periods of time? I understand if you dont recall what you did but anything could help. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS