[SOLVED] Red CPU light & problem with booting

CamaroIV

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
View: https://youtu.be/I7C-6tjXR_M

Please watch the video it does more explaining than I can type here. Basically I’ve been dealing with this issue for a couple months now. I remember the day it started having this issue my brothers computer was also experiencing the same thing. I reset both CMOS battery’s in both PC’s which got them working again. My brother computer works fine while mine never really worked correctly after. I get a red cpu light when I turn on my PC and sometimes just the graphics card will light up but I can hear and see things working all around. I’ve been dealing with this issue for about 2 months now and I think today is finally the day it died for good. Any help is greatly appreciated! Just looking to figure out if the Mobo or PSU would need replaced.

p.s. When I can get the computer to turn on and actually post and work normally everything is fine. Besides sometimes under load it will turn off out of nowhere.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Corsair H105
ASUS Z97-AR
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4x4GB DDR3 1600)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW2
Thermaltake View 71 RGB
Corsair CX750
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Sandisk 128GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB

Last edited:
Solution
Ok I will upgrade the PSU because frankly I know its old and its probably the biggest eye sore at the moment but what in your opinion is causing the root issue? Mobo or PSU?
Unfortunately the only way to tell is to rule one out with a known working part. If I had to guess I’d say PSU and you’d do good to get another one anyway. If it still persists you haven’t lost anything as the PSU needs to be replaced anyway. In the future I wouldn’t transfer a PSU from one system to the next unless it’s still under the warranty period, EAPECIALLY if using high end hardware.

CamaroIV

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
6 years for that PSU and your components is a long time. I’d recommend a new quality one regardless if it’s the underlying issue.
The PSU is the oldest component in the rig. I had it in my AMD system and now still in my intel system. It has gone through some upgrading over the last year with new gpu and some storage but the cpu, mobo, ram and things around about 3-4 years old.

The PSU is the oldest component in the rig. I had it in my AMD system and now still in my intel system. It has gone through some upgrading over the last year with new gpu and some storage but the cpu, mobo, ram and things around about 3-4 years old.
Generally a PSU is good for the warranty period. Capacitors degrade in them all, even the best ones. Yours is the bottom line of what I’d recommend for an average system. I7 and a 1080 I’d recommend a QUALITY gold PSU. May also be a motherboard issue and it’s getting about time to upgrade that as well but I’d definitely get a new PSU as I wouldn’t trust that thing after three years, 6 is risky.

CamaroIV

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Generally a PSU is good for the warranty period. Capacitors degrade in them all, even the best ones. Yours is the bottom line of what I’d recommend for an average system. I7 and a 1080 I’d recommend a QUALITY gold PSU. May also be a motherboard issue and it’s getting about time to upgrade that as well but I’d definitely get a new PSU as I wouldn’t trust that thing after three years, 6 is risky.
Ok I will upgrade the PSU because frankly I know its old and its probably the biggest eye sore at the moment but what in your opinion is causing the root issue? Mobo or PSU?

Unfortunately the only way to tell is to rule one out with a known working part. If I had to guess I’d say PSU and you’d do good to get another one anyway. If it still persists you haven’t lost anything as the PSU needs to be replaced anyway. In the future I wouldn’t transfer a PSU from one system to the next unless it’s still under the warranty period, EAPECIALLY if using high end hardware.

Solution