Question Red cpu light

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
Just upgraded from ryzen 5 2600 to 9 3900xt but when i put in the new cpu i the red light flashes. Now i tried to put in my old cpu. It worked at first but the it flashed for a sec and turned black. Before installing the new cpu i updated my bios.

my spec: msi b450m gaming pro carbon ac
Gpu: rtx 2070
Cooling: corsair h100i
Psu: be quiet pure power 11 500w

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
If they all connect with all of the pin sockets, then it's not a problem...I did that with my 3950X but was able to straighten the bent pins enough to where they all connected. It really depends on HOW bent those pins are and if they're straight enough. If even one is still mostly bent, it can absolutely be a problem.

I guess it depends on...when you say the 2600 "...worked for a second", how far into the process did it go? BIOS, Windows, only the MB brand name...?

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
If they all connect with all of the pin sockets, then it's not a problem...I did that with my 3950X but was able to straighten the bent pins enough to where they all connected. It really depends on HOW bent those pins are and if they're straight enough. If even one is still mostly bent, it can absolutely be a problem.

I guess it depends on...when you say the 2600 "...worked for a second", how far into the process did it go? BIOS, Windows, only the MB brand name...?
2 pins are completly bent over.
i got into where i can log in

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Obviously, yes.

AMD warranty does not cover bent pins. You'll either have to straighten them or hope the store you bought it from will help you out.

When I did that to my 3950X, the only thing that I was able to do to rescue it was use a needle to bend each one back into place. There was a suggestion from Micro Center when I called them to use a credit card...which was too wide for the pin rows. That needle trick did the trick...didn't get them perfect but they were straight enough to make contact.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015

You'll need to completely bend those pins back into place in order for your 3900XT to work. Otherwise, it never will. I mentioned a trick with a needle above...perhaps try that and see how much you can get them back into straight-enough condition. The pins seem to be pretty tough, but still handle with care. I'd also suggest getting some sort of magnifying something so you can see the pins easier...working on those things is a bear unless your eyesight is nearly 20/20.

Doing a very quick cursory Google search on the flashing debug light...if you end up going back to the 2600 for a while, you may need to do a BIOS flashback. Note that I'm in a bit of a hurry and haven't researched that a lot, but that's what I've seen so far.

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
You'll need to completely bend those pins back into place in order for your 3900XT to work. Otherwise, it never will. I mentioned a trick with a needle above...perhaps try that and see how much you can get them back into straight-enough condition. The pins seem to be pretty tough, but still handle with care. I'd also suggest getting some sort of magnifying something so you can see the pins easier...working on those things is a bear unless your eyesight is nearly 20/20.

Doing a very quick cursory Google search on the flashing debug light...if you end up going back to the 2600 for a while, you may need to do a BIOS flashback. Note that I'm in a bit of a hurry and haven't researched that a lot, but that's what I've seen so far.
Will def try the needle thank you

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Will def try the needle thank you

I do hope it works.

In the meantime, belay my last on the BIOS flashback. I've found in a couple of different places that it seems that a flashing CPU Debug LED light (when I've had them, they've always been solid) may indicate a short somewhere on the board...in this case, I'd make double sure that the motherboard is properly mounted on the case screws/standoffs and that all power connections are firmly and properly installed/secured. If all that is good, then perhaps still try the BIOS flashback as the second option if you return to the 2600.

D

Deleted member 2720853

My Ryzen 9 3900X had an "accident" and I woke up to 5 bent pins, two of which were near the middle of the CPU and completely bent over. Half an hour with a mechanical pencil and a needle later, I got the pins straightened, CPU placed onto the motherboard, and the PC was posting.

Nothing to worry about, bend them back yourself GENTLY and you'll be fine.

If the CPU just drops into the socket, it's fine. You will hear slight crunching when lowering the retention lever, don't worry about it.

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
I do hope it works.

In the meantime, belay my last on the BIOS flashback. I've found in a couple of different places that it seems that a flashing CPU Debug LED light (when I've had them, they've always been solid) may indicate a short somewhere on the board...in this case, I'd make double sure that the motherboard is properly mounted on the case screws/standoffs and that all power connections are firmly and properly installed/secured. If all that is good, then perhaps still try the BIOS flashback as the second option if you return to the 2600.
Ok tried to straighten the pins. Didnt help unfortunately. So now i cant use the new cpu and cant go back to the old one. Hmmm def thought that would go better

Ok tried to straighten the pins. Didnt help unfortunately. So now i cant use the new cpu and cant go back to the old one. Hmmm def thought that would go better
OK...so now I'm confused. Can you still not log in with the old CPU?

It's important because if one of the two flattened pins could have shorted something out to another pin. That's not really common, though. But if so, that could be why the other CPU doesn't work.

But before tossing the motherboard I'd do a few things: first is reset CMOS by unplugging, remove battery, short pins for several minutes. Reassemble. I'd do that for the new processor first since that's a very common problem when changing processors. Then for the original processor if it doesn't work.

If even after that it doesn't work, and you are POSITIVE there are no bent pins on EITHER processor, then look very carefully at all the sockets in the CPU socket on the motherboard. Examine with bright light so you see the bright metal gleaming back at you. You're looking for any that don't look like the others. If you find them, then the bent pins may have damaged the socket.

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
OK...so now I'm confused. Can you still not log in with the old CPU?

It's important because if one of the two flattened pins could have shorted something out to another pin. That's not really common, though. But if so, that could be why the other CPU doesn't work.

But before tossing the motherboard I'd do a few things: first is reset CMOS by unplugging, remove battery, short pins for several minutes. Reassemble. I'd do that for the new processor first since that's a very common problem when changing processors. Then for the original processor if it doesn't work.

If even after that it doesn't work, and you are POSITIVE there are no bent pins on EITHER processor, then look very carefully at all the sockets in the CPU socket on the motherboard. Examine with bright light so you see the bright metal gleaming back at you. You're looking for any that don't look like the others. If you find them, then the bent pins may have damaged the socket.
Tried reseting CMOS but still red light when using both boards. Something must have happened when retrying the old cpu and i got blackscreened.
Just talked to amazon support and ill get a new cpu and motherboard. Not the solution i wanted but i take it:)

TRENDING THREADS