Question Red Dead Redemption 2 red flickering

pekarim

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
Hello guys.

I've just build a new PC a week ago, and only when playing with RDR2 i have this red flickering problem. Its not constant, but sometimes appears, usually when playing for a longer time. I played Mafia 1: DE before and I didnt have any problem with it, so i dont think its a gpu issue, maybe i messed up my graphics settings, i dont know, i watched a lot of videos about optimizing rdr2 settings, and its still a blind spot to me.

My PC specs.:

MB: Gigabyte H510M H
Processor: Intel Core i5-11400F @ 2.6GHz
RAM.: TeamGroup DDR4 3200MHz Elite
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2060 12 GB OC
Storage: Apacer 256GB M.2 NVME SSD
PSU: Cooler Master 700W MWE 700 WHITE

And here's a video about it.
View: https://youtu.be/4kqlXn1x00M

Reactions: Italogin95
I didn't see any red flickering in that video, though some of your settings might be a bit too high. I used Digital Foundry's graphics settings guide on the game btw.

My GTX 1080 SC is very close in performance to your 2060, just very slightly higher, and it's been a while since I played the game but I'm pretty sure your settings are higher than what I used.

pekarim

Prominent
Jan 12, 2021
If you check it closely the trees had red edges, thats what I meant. I dont think my settings are high, i have stable a 60-70 FPS. Anyway, I check what you said, thank you.

If you check it closely the trees had red edges, thats what I meant. I dont think my settings are high, i have stable a 60-70 FPS. Anyway, I check what you said, thank you.
Well it's always hard to find details like that in a 1080p video uploaded to YouTube unless it gets TONS of views which would make it qualify for their VP9 processing. This is why I resize my 1080p uploads to 1440p, which does get VP9 processing no matter how many views. To do that properly I advise 30,000 ABR (Average Bitrate) two pass compression though. I use Avidemux, which has such a codec.

What I'm saying is there's noticeable color banding in the smoke from the fire, which is a tradeoff of YouTube's horrible 1080p processing. However you can see as well the same color it's tinted with also tints the underside of the tree leaves.

So I have to agree with what kerberos_20 said about the fire causing that effect. It's not just a coincidence I think that the tinting you're seeing is red, same as the fire, and it flickers, same as the fire.

As far as what you're saying about performance, kind of hard to believe really. The 2060 12GB was a GPU said to not even make sense because it never benefited enough from the 12 GB VRAM to justify the cost. That's why it was considered more of a mining card than a gaming one.

Last edited: