[SOLVED] Red Dead Redemption 2 System Requirements ( And the issue with recommended setting )

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
So earlier this week Rockstar detailed the system requirements for Red Dead Redemption 2:

Minimum specifications:
Windows 7 - Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
Memory: 8GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB HDD
Space: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Recommended specifications:
Windows 10 - April 2018 Update (v1803)
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 12GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB HDD Space: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

While on paper, outside of the ridiculous HDD space requirement the specs aren't crazy. But after my experience with games like Quantum Break, and playing GTA V I have little faith the game will run THAT well.

Take GTA V system requirements (5 years later):

Minimum System Requirements:
  • OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
Recommended System Requirements:
  • OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
And still new systems today struggle to keep a consistent frame rate with the game.

It really irks me what publishers and developers set as "recommended" to play games. Because in actuality its generally not accurate to whats required to enjoy it as it was intended. Or maybe we can go so far to say that what each developer seems to believe is the intended experience doesn't always match with what gamers are looking for.

I like what Gearbox did with BorderLands 3. They put to run at <insert resolution here> and said what you need to achieve it. Personally I think developers need to go further mark which hardware you will need to see achieve specific resolutions with specific graphic preset and set FPS.

Such as ULTRA 1080P at 60
or ULTRA 1440P at 30
ect... no one does this though...

Reactions: King_V
Solution
To be fair to GTA V it has been updated quite a bit even in the graphics department since its release. It also takes way more than 65GB of disk space now.

The problem is that they could list specifics but there are so many hardware and software combinations out there that they would never get it right.

From my understanding though minimum is just to run the game at the lowest possible settings and recommended is to run it at, typically 1080p, with decent settings.
To be fair to GTA V it has been updated quite a bit even in the graphics department since its release. It also takes way more than 65GB of disk space now.

The problem is that they could list specifics but there are so many hardware and software combinations out there that they would never get it right.

From my understanding though minimum is just to run the game at the lowest possible settings and recommended is to run it at, typically 1080p, with decent settings.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

i only play on console so those games run great on console. RD2 online is loads of fun and that is the best looking game ever for the old xbox one console I have ever seen. and that's old hardware... really old.

357mag

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
I have been wondering this also. I am excited the game is coming out on PC finally but it makes me rethink my hardware. I plan to just play at 1080p on my 46" 4k TV. I have thought about spending a few hundred and upgrading my CPU, MOBO and RAM but if the hardware below will run it I may just keep using it. The CPU and RAM have been running for about 7 years now haha. I picked up the GPU last winter.

Current Specs:
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
GPU: Radeon RX 570 4gb
Ram: DDR3 8gb