[SOLVED] Red Devil rx580 usage percent

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I am playing fortnite and I have noticed that my GPU usage will drop very low, like so low that is goes 0-1% then jumps to 50 and above. I have also noticed that my FPS is dropping a lot and I am getting a lot of stutters and hitches. Any fixes? or recommendations?

Specs:
Gpu: rx 580
CPu: ryzen 3 3200g with vega grahpics
Ram: 7.95 GB

Solution
Ok.
You are cpu and ram limited.

The cpu + ram feed pre-rendered frames to the gpu, which does all the other little post effects, etc. If either the cpu or ram - perhaps both - 'choke', then the gpu also 'chokes', because it's having to wait through whatever the cpu + ram got hung up on.

4 threads is not optimal for Fortnite, which can use up to 6, IIRC(maybe 8).

Then there's the ram. You may, or may not have heard this already, but Ryzen really does run best with 3xxxMhz dual channel memory kits.

So, which change - if any, can you afford to make to improve the experience?

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Are you monitoring cpu and gpu temps?

Cpu usage - EACH THREAD?

Ram usage?

What is the specs of the memory?
Yes, my GPU temp is 54C and my CPU is 47c. And my usage for each thread on my cpu is about 75% each they keep going up and down but usually all stay above 60% (all 4)

As for my my ram usage it is currently 76% as I am playing fortnite. And VRAM is 11%

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Temps are fine.

Any of those threads hitting 90%?

76% ram usage? That would be a problem. What are the specs of the ram?
Yes a few threads are hitting 90 and even 100 at points. I am not sure how to see the specs of my ram, all i know is that its a single stick. it says 7.95 is installed. Is that the problem for my fps drops and slow at opening things and switching through things? Along with my gpu dropping way too low for usage?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok.

The cpu + ram feed pre-rendered frames to the gpu, which does all the other little post effects, etc. If either the cpu or ram - perhaps both - 'choke', then the gpu also 'chokes', because it's having to wait through whatever the cpu + ram got hung up on.

Then there's the ram. You may, or may not have heard this already, but Ryzen really does run best with 3xxxMhz dual channel memory kits.

Solution

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Ok.

I can definitely upgrade my ram if that will help, also I can look into also upgrading my cpu- any recommendations of what type of CPU runs best with the rx 580, and a
GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020