Red dots/lines on screen after FurMark GPU Stress test

Adrian S

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Hi Guys,

I'm new around here so pardon me if i'm posting in the wrong category.

I've recently transported my PC components via luggage with an airplane since i wasn't able to carry the whole computer case and after arriving at the destination and putting my computer back together i've started running into some strange GPU issues. (NOTE: My GPU was not working 100% before the transport so i was aware of *SOME* issues but not this one).

My initial issue before flying with the components was that during gaming playtime (didn't matter if the game was GPU intensive or not from what i've noticed) i had random GPU crashes identified through small colored squares all over the screen (artifacts) and eventually my screen would go black for 20-30 seconds while the GPU restarted itself (i assume) and after that there was a pop-up from the nvidia driver that the driver crashed and it has been successfully recovered, everything going back to normal after that.The timing was pretty random also, sometimes it could take a few minutes untill the issue showed up, sometimes it could take hours, one thing that i've noticed though is that the GPU crashed every time i was in a particular spot in game (for example GPU was crashing while i was on the CT spawn side in CS:GO) but this didn't happened every time i was passing through that zone in game.I have to mention that i couldn't reproduce this GPU crash while using FurMark so it happened only in games.

Now the fun part, after flying with the friggin airplane and putting all the pieces back together i initially had the GPU properly working but i could only use the 800x600 resolution.I assumed it was the monitor since it was quite old and this guy never actually used it for PC, it was used tor TV. Meanwhile while playing with the resolutions in order to try to make it work with higher resolutions eventually i figured "Hey, i should use FurMark to test my GPU, it worked last time, it should work again, right?!?!?!", i mean, since i used to test it this way a while ago and i didn't had any issues, it shouldn't happen again, right? :)). Well, guess what, after a few seconds after starting the generic test for FurMark, the PC restarted completely and after the automatic restart, i started seeing small red dots/lines across my screen. I assumed this was caused by the friggin monitor but i managed to find another spare monitor to test my stuff. The result was the one i was afraid to admit, it was not the monitor :(. It seems the GPU somehow is half dead (can use it in desktop mode but only on 800x600 and i can't do much with it).I also noticed this message in device manager "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" I managed to get it back to work after reinstalling drivers and plugging the card out and back in but, as a retarded person that i am, i wanted to make sure that FurMark was the cause of this issue, so i started the test again, this time with my own settings.It didn't last long until the PC restarted again and now i have the same issue. Small red dots or lines moving randomly across my screen during desktop and boot time (while the windows logo shows up). While booting the PC i didn't see anything wrong in bios and i obviously can't test it in games but right now it seems my card is dying.

I was aware of her passing away but my concern right now is that i need this GPU to work for another month or so until i get back home and buy another one. I've browsed the internet last night searching this type of issue but i couldn't find any particular fix, some people said to bake the card which i might end up do tonight if i can't find a proper fix.

The GPU that i'm talking about is a Nvidia 470GTX made by Asus which used to have the shitty stock cooler which held her up to 90 degrees Celsius but i managed to buy her a custom arctic cooler which keeps her at 60-70 degrees in full load. I bought a PSU also a while ago since i thought the initial issue was caused by the lack of power. I know the GPU is old and i guess its time is almost over but i kind of need her to stay strong for the next month or so until i manage to find a replacement so if you guys have any suggestions please let me know and i will greatly apreciate them.

Solution
I would definitely try baking it, there should be some guides if you Google. Never done it myself, but know several who have with great results.

fkr

Splendid
if you have done a clean install of the GPU drivers then i would think your card is at its end of life.

I would never use furmark again as it pushes allot of voltage through your GPU and it is known to occasionally kill cards.

you can always use the heaven benchmark or one of the ones that comes with MSI afterburner