Question Red DRAM Light

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

So my pc has been working great until this morning. I switched it on and now it won’t post. I have a red DRAM light on my motherboard. All the fans are spinning and the ones with RGB light up.

I have tried...
• Checked all cables
• Clear cmos
• Tried one stick off ram

I upgraded my ram 2 months ago to 2x8GB CorsVengLPX DDR4 3200 (C/CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16). This ram is on my motherboards QVL list but I did have problems when I first installed it. The pc would freeze at the desktop. I had to disable the XMP profile and reduce it down to 3000mhz to stop it doing that. It’s been working fine every since then.

I tried putting my original ram back in this morning (2x4GB CorsVengLPX DDR4 3000) and the same thing happens. Red DRAM light.

Please could someone help with this? I am not sure what else to try. Would it be a safe bet to rule out an issue with the ram itself? Changing from my old to new ram made no difference. Just to add I haven’t done any overclocking and my temps were always below 70 with load. Don’t understand how it can have no problem to this?

Another thing is when I switch on the pc the red DRAM light comes on but it does seem go onto the next check. The light on the motherboard jumps from DRAM to CPU but it goes straight back to DRAM. It’s like it trying to post

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450m Aorus Motherboard
2x8GB CorsVengLPX DDR4 3200
GTX 1660 Super
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

NZXT 510 Elite

Thank you

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Yes. I have 2 x 4GB 3000mhz kit and a newer 2 x 8GB 3200mhz kit. Sorry I never made that clear.

Have tried both kits but not at the same time of course. Still the same problem. Tried 1 stick at a time too.

I have just finished taking the pc a part. I took the motherboard out the case and plug in the essentials and still just the same. I guess that might rule out a short from the case.

Cpu, motherboard and ram are all just under 6 moths old. Was bought as a upgrade bundle. PSU is 2 years old I think. Will double check that.

Last edited:

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi. Going to call the the shop I bought it from tomorrow . See if they can investigate. Im not confident of removing the cpu to check for bent pins unless I have no other option. Just don't get how a pc can be working way fine for 6 months then just go like this.

Is it possible the bios could have reverted back to an older version that does not support the ryzen 3600?

Thanks

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

Called the shop today, I have to send it back to them so they can test it. They wanted me to reseat the CPU but i told them i was confident of doing that. Plus its under warranty so i would rather they done there own test to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
And you shouldn't be reseating a cpu if they build it for you. ;)

Hope they find the problem.

Thank you. Yes they built it. It was a cpu, motherboard and ram bundle.

Im hoping it comes back faulty and they let me choose another motherboard. Had a couple of issues where the bios would lose settings or post would take ages. Probably not entirely motherboard related but i have lost a bit confidence in that Gigabyte motherboard since i have had it.

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi, Just an update. Motherboard was found to be faulty. Replaced under warranty and should be back with me on Monday. All good. Still a bit annoyed it cost £25 to send it down to them. Might try getting it back from them as it was just under 6 months old.

Reactions: Vic 40